The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 878 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/29/07
A lovely illustration of how God can use circumstances for His purposes.

I'd have liked you to use all 750 words, and to clarify the relationships between these characters. I felt as if I were dropped into the middle of a story, and had to figure them out.

I enjoyed the final image of the wedding with the patients invited.
Jan's comment about using all your word limit spurred me check your word count. You had a cushion of more than 250 words you could have used to add a little more background. I think sometimes we are so concerned about compacting things down to not go over the word count, that we compact TOO much.

I felt like Jan, that I had to ponder a little to figure out who was who. And it took me until the the tulips to know for sure that the narrator was a woman.

Just a little rule of thumb (I have this written down to remind myself), that . and , go inside the " but : and ; go outside the "

Also in the next to the last paragraph you had the proper number of quote marks, they just weren't all in their proper places! :o)

Aside from those little things, I really liked the setting as an unlikely place for romance to develop, so all the more touching because of that. Keep writing. Kudos to you!
Enjoyed this article. It has a lot to say in it. Some spoken, some implied. Good job.
05/01/07
I am the author of this story. I just want everyone to know that there was more to the story. I had 749 words, but I was talking on the phone when I entered it and did not realize I had not copied (highlighted) all of it so only the last part pasted. Live and learn, one thing at a time.