The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 494 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Juggling life can definitely be an overload. Some days it's more of a catastrophe. It's not easy being a parent, no matter how old the kids get. I can definitely relate to that, especially tonight when I felt misheard. You reminded me I'm not alone.

I'd urge you to spice it up some by adding a conflict and a resolution. By throwing in body language, thoughts, and dialog, you can make it pop more. For example, I might try something like this: Exhausted from being on my feet at the deli for eight hours nonstop, I could feel that spot in the back of my head throb in synchronization with my heartbeat. Balump-bump, Balump-bump.
I staggered out of the car and shuffled to the house while trying to balance four bags of groceries, three pieces of mail, and two backpacks. Oh, and did I mention I did this all in high heels?
As I shoved the door open with my shoulder, one bag split open, spilling canned goods all over the floor. Seriously, how hard is it to bag groceries correctly?

I hope that gives you an idea of what I mean. Even though this is probably a true story, it is okay to add some things to make it less dry and to give the reader a mental picture.

I sense you might have a delightful sense of humor. I think sometimes we have to or we will overload and shoot sparks out of our ears. ;) I'd urge you to use that humor. Describe the disasters of the day in vivid detail. Leave the reader with something to ponder. I also believe you have many bits of wisdom to share with your readers. It can be scary to put those intimate parts of your soul out for the world to read, but you can change people's outlooks with your words.

I'd love to challenge you to read at least two to five stories in each level and leave feedback. (It doesn't need to be as intense or as long as mine. Few people are that long winded.) By discovering what works or doesn't work for you in other stories, you'll learn a great deal about your own writing.

I don't want to discourage you. You do have potential. It can be hard at times to just let go and let your fingers fly. Ask yourself what your expectations are for writing a story. Is it to vent, share your experience with others, make the reader laugh, document the day, help others learn from your mistakes, find out what God is asking you to do with your life experiences,or make people think? Every reason is a good reason, but not only is it important to know your audience (you'd write one way if venting for your mom, a different format if your audience is grad students,and another way if writing for kids), you also need to write for that specific group. Not every piece will have the same audience. This piece would be great for a family newsletter or to post on Facebook or jot in your journal. Expand it a bit more, and I could see it in a woman's magazine. Keep writing. I truly look forward to reading more of your work. I suspect God led you here for a reason and has wonderful plans for your writings. God bless.
I like the simple truth you have expresses in this piece - the willingness to do whatever it takes to make the family work. I also like the simple pleasure - the YMCA and swimming - as a release from your busy and demanding work schedule.

Writing is there also as a comfort and it may be what God has given to you to strengthen you in difficult times.

Look at the last paragraph (I think) to see if there is a word missing.