The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 395 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/12/16
Great job with this!
Well done,

Blessings~
05/13/16
I liked your ending. I hope the MC and her parents can work out their problems.
05/13/16
Good story on an important subject. Well done.
05/17/16
You've covered a lot of emotional territory here, and you have sustained the tension very well.
I like your close, though I think the word limit has pushed you a little.
You have introduced us to a much longer story, which I think could work very well.
I think this is a great idea for a story. I could totally relate to the MC. I remember telling my parents that I was pregnant at 18. My mom said, "What will my friends think?" It wasn't the support I was hoping for, but after the shock wore off, my parents were amazingly supportive.

The dialog didn't feel natural to me. I'd also urge you to add more body language too. For example, I might suggest something like this:
Peggy bowed her head and felt her cheeks grow hot. "Mom, Dad, I'm pregnant." She squeezed her eyes shut and slumped her shoulders.
Mom slapped the table as she shouted at her fifteen-year-old daughter. "My business will be ruined! Who will take my parenting articles seriously once they find out my only daughter got knocked up?“
Dad furrowed his eyebrows and glared at Peggy. His voice sounded so cold and calculated, Peggy shivered. “Either get rid of it or get out.”

I really did like the article and with some tweaking and editing, I think you have a powerful story that will speak to teens and parents alike. Almost everyone could relate to this on some level, and I think you did a great job with it. If you ever decide you do want to do more with it, I'd be happy to help in any way I can. I think it's an article that has huge potential and believe God had great plans for it.
Really enjoyed reading this, especially liked the ending. There was alot of emotional build up and then we were able to "breathe" at the end. The introduction was good, but I think it would have been a little better if you had led up to the pregnancy instead of stating it up front by putting the statement made about what mom said about what would people think and dad's expression first, then explaining that the main character was pregnant.
Good job!