The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 766 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/20/14
Quaint story and good use of dialogue. I only noticed one word misspelled in "He turned to get a peak for himself," (should be peek).
Good use of interior conflict leading to a positive resolution in the end. Keep writing.
01/20/14
Very nicely written, a lovely story indeed! I liked the ending and the approach on the topic, Keep writing.
01/20/14
This is a wonderful piece! You did a good job, especially being in this beginning group. I'm confident you will be forced to advance very soon. Keep up the great work!
You wrote this story very well. Although I'm not the most experienced writer to be giving advise to others, at the beginning of your story you start a sentence with the word 'for' and I just think it sounds better without it.

I was reading some of Jan's writing tips in the forums and she mentioned tightening up our words and using fewer to convey our message.

Great work!
Like coming home. Lovely.
I enjoyed this piece. I liked how you started right off with the conflict of her car breaking down. Then adding the second internal conflict just built the suspense even more.

You may want to tighten up your sentences some. With the word count being so limited it's vital to make every word count. For example this: Halfway between the gas station and home sat a small Baptist church. It’s quaint appearance was a welcomed sight in this rough, urban landscape. Even though it seemed out of place, Dara felt drawn to it. For, like the small country church in the middle of a big city, she, too, didn’t quite seem to fit in around here. She had always felt out of place, no matter where she went or what she did.
To something like this:
Halfway home, she spotted a small Baptist Church that seemed as out of place in the urban environment--just like how she had always felt that she didn't fit in anywhere.

It's not perfect and I tweaked it a few times, but I hope the example helps show what I meant.

I enjoyed your characters. They felt real and relatable. Even the church developed it's own character and that's not an easy thing to do. Your passion shows in your words. Keep writing for the Lord has great plans to use your words to touch others in ways you might never expect.