The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 921 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/22/13
Interesting and well written entry. I enjoyed it from start to finish! Thank you.
God bless~
I think you did a brilliant job with this story. You grabbed my attention right away in the first paragraph with a conundrum of the missing keyhole.

I did suspect that this was going to be a dream sequence and sometimes that can be seen as a literary cop-out, however, I think you did a good job of using the dream effectively. I do believe God uses dreams to wake us up.

I did notice that you had a few passive sentences with words like was, has, be, is in them. You may want to try to switch them up with active verbs. This is an example: Jacob looked over his shoulder as a sense of solitude washed over him. Instead of Jacob was certain he was alone.Hopefully you can see how the first one paints a picture for the reader and helps set the scene.

Overall, I think that you did a fabulous job on the topic. I loved the way you inserted the scripture verse. The symbolism that his keys were testing on that verse showed a bit a genius. Matthew 7:7 is one of my favorite verses and you did a great job of showing the meaning of that verse.
02/25/13
I found the story intriguing and love settings that are not quite expected. I loved the doors in the middle of the woods, but could have pictured it better with some more description. Were the doors in a wall or structure of some sort? Could Jacob have walked around to the other side? I also wondered why he wanted to go through a door, although as it got later, it was clear he was in an unfamiliar place.

I guess some of the ambiguity was due to the dream. I love fantasy and am always a little disappointed when it turns out to be a dream, but I did like the way you tied it into real life with an enigmatic ending.
Congratulations on ranking for ranking 10 in level one! (The highest rankings can be found on the message boards for the top 8 to 15 in each level and the top 35 overall.)