The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 649 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
There are some really good things about your story. You came up with an excellent idea that was full of conflict. The ending showed how humbling oneself can lead to greater riches than we can imagine.

There are also some things you can to tweak to make it an even better story. First, find someone to ptoof it for you and to help you catch the run-on sentence in the beginning and typos like inharitance instead of inheritance and putting punctuation inside the quotation marks. Check the message boards for a challenge buddy or a critique group, (we all make mistakes but a good proofer will spot them for you:)

The transitions from one part of the story can be smoothed out by doing some more showing and less telling. Don't be afraid to use all 750 words. For example -- something like this will paint a picture for the reader. Will examined the doctor's face, the furrowed eyebrows confirmed his suspicion that the other driver didn't make it. Rushing to the bathroom while gripping his stomach, Will heaved the remains of burnt toast and juice. Later when the lawyer informed him the family sued him, his stomach lurched again.
That is just a quick example to show you what I mean by painting a picture. Using the active verbs instead of passive ones like was helps the reader visualize the story, then I used the vomiting as a way to transition to the next part of the story.

You did a great job on writing on topic while keeping it fresh and original. Something like that would tear a person down and even the simple tasks would be overwhelming. I like how you tied your story into a Bible verse. My favorite part was the prayer. I could feel the pain and longing for comfort jump off the page.

I also love it when writers show how to pray. So many people aren't quite sure how to do that and by writing the words down, I have no doubt yo0u will inspire others to pray like that. That's one of the coolest things about writing, you never know how many people you will touch with your words. Keep writing and don't get discouraged, only you can write the stories that God lays on your heart.

05/12/12
Oh my goodness, what a touching and poignant story. It reached into my heart and hugged it.

So many emotions in this entry. The pain, the anguish, the sorrow, the anger...then forgiveness. Amen!

The power of Jesus, our King of Kings! I loved the entire piece, and could see this in an inspirational magazine.

Great job. Thank you so much.

God Bless,

Camille~
I'm so new at giving a critique on someone's writing, so take this for what its worth. It seemed to me like you rushed to tell the story. I feel like you had enough room (word count) that you could have not jumped from one thing to the next quite so fast. The basis of the story was great, but I wanted to see what happened in court and to feel his struggle more and possibly that of the grieving fmily as well.