The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 959 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/22/09
Loved your title, and your first paragraph really had me hooked.

Add additional dialogue and "showing, not telling" to bump this up a nitch if you re-visit it.

Maybe some day you'll get to Australia...
01/23/09
Good little twist on the topic. A little dialogue, and perhaps a story/testimony of life in the inner-city would take it up a notch or two.
01/25/09
This story has great "bones"; I'd love to see you expand it a bit. Nicely done!
Oh, I really like this. A wonderful essay and a great testimony.
01/26/09
I liked your hint.. :) This must be a true story. You've written this very well. Your ending, about how you were changed, is so good.
This is great. Such a good reminder to make the most of whatever God brings to our lives, even when it's not what we expected. Thankyou for sharing this.
01/26/09
What encouragement this piece is! It definitely sounds authentic and from the heart. I would like to share this one with my friend whose visa for Australia came two weeks too late....I know it will bless her as she's going through a time of disappointment. Thank you for sharing....keep up the wonderful work!
You did a great job with accepting a "not-wanted" assignment and with writing this piece. God gifted you with a willing heart and blessed your efforts.
01/28/09
I really liked this, and could sympathize with similar disappointments in my life. I heard in here, and was encouraged, by the ultimate surrender and trust you have in God. The writing was clear and compelling. I liked how effectively you distinguished between your hopes for what you'd see in Australia, and what you actually experienced in Houston. It made me see the great work God was up to, even when it looks "less" to us. Thank you. I was blessed by this entry.