The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1278 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Ooh, those sisters! I liked Abby, I kinda felt sorry for her, but more so for Susan who wanted to 'grow up' but seemingly at the same time didn't want to be all that different from her little sis. This was great-especially the title and how they shared Susan's mall findings-the necklace and earrings.

The ending was good though. Nice job! ^_^
05/08/08
I like it. Always hard when siblings get "too old" to play with you all the time.

The one thing I am confused about in this story is when Susan, the older sister, returns from the mall and takes out the jewlery. She hears a "tentative voice speak out, 'Those are pretty, Abby.'"

Perhaps it should say, "Those are pretty, Susan"? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but to me it seems like the "tentative voice" is Abby, the little sister, talking to her big sister...and in that case I think it would logically read "Susan." Probably just a typo. (Sorry if I totally read it wrong and am telling you this in error!) :)

The other thing I might consider is adding some little stars to separate the space between when the girls are first talking and when Susan returns. Just a little " *** " perhaps to show the passing of time. You had spaces, so you did nothing wrong; I just think having something else might help clarify it more.

Nice job!
I liked this article. It flowed nicely. You managed to capture a snapshot of sisters: one leaving adolescence and one still playing with dolls. I like the way you showed the strength of their relationship, despite their differences. Nicely done.
This was a delightful story of the awkward age of pre-teen...growing up and the doll stage. Like this story.
05/15/08
Enjoyed this story! I was easily drawn in and I liked your descriptions of the two sisters. Great ending, too!

Keep up the good writing! : )