The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1000 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/10/08
I like the way that you captured this unsentimental grandmother in a tender, sentimenal way.

Be careful of adverb-overuse: it's frequently preferable to use a stronger verb. You don't have to get rid of all of them by any means.

You did a great job with the sensory aspects of this story.
I love cherry tomatoes so you got me with the title. You tale was endearing and you wrapped it up very well. I would have like more.
04/11/08
You painted quite a picture of this grandmother who loved you from a distance. Beautiful little memory that shows the importance even a singular event can have on a child.
04/11/08
Very evocative writing for all that there was little in the way of actual conversation or action. I particularly liked the way you gave the final line a paragraph of its own. Conveyed to me a deep sense of sadness
04/11/08
You also lured me in by the title. I thought this was really good and painted a very profound memory. I did think there was some things that were redunant in your descriptions. Once you paint the picture once - avoid using the same color - such as elderly hand, weathered hand. My favorite part was the first couple of sentences that described the essence of childhood in dangling, swinging feet.
04/12/08
Your writing really had me identifying with both the child and the grandma. 'Liked it a lot!
A superbly written entry. I love all the details that you included in this piece. I felt as though I was sitting their with your grandma eating tomatoes with you both.

With writing like this, I don't think that you will be in beginners for long.

Thank you for sharing this. I really liked it a lot. :)
You do a very good job describing a tender "a ha" moment with your grandmother. Interesting choice to write on "the other" grandmother. I had one like that, also. I couldn't quite picture the MC in the chair at first from your early description, but the rest was very vivid. Nice job.
04/12/08
This is excellent! I saw your grandmother vividly in this lovely story. A very good way to illustrate her unique personality, and a great interaction between the MC and the child. Keep writing; you have a way with words
04/18/08
Congratulations, Samantha, on placing 7th in your level. Great work!