The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 755 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/21/14
A very endearing approach to the topic. David's dialogue and interaction, and thoughts were interesting as you presented them on paper.

Well done.

God bless~
I like the common touch you have given to this bible story.

From 1 Samuel 17:20 I cannot tell if David loaded up the supplies in a wagon (or something similar) or on a donkey. This may not make a difference but it makes a better story (in my view) for David to have used a donkey.

Put this story with many other bible stories and you have a "kids bible story book".
I've commented before that I am a sucker for "story-ized" Bible accounts. No different here. I enjoyed reading the personalized characterization of David and the others.

I have a couple of minor critiques. In the 3rd paragraph, you used the phrase "It was weird." It threw me just a little bit to come across a more modern way of talking, in a historical story set so long ago.

That could be just me. It might not be an issue at all! :)

There were a few places where there were commas, and perhaps should have been periods instead, maybe.

"He was silent for a few more seconds, then looked up again with a puzzled look on his face,
"Aren't you a little young to be here, redhead?" I shrugged,"

I was thinking there should be a period rather than a comma after "face" and "shrugged". Unless you were intending to make the prose lead in to the dialogue by commas?

I hope I'm not being confusing. I thought the way you wrote it was lively and engaging. And I liked the part you chose to write about, before the battle, rather than the famous battle itself.
Congratulations on ranking 11th in your level. The highest rankings can be found on the message boards.