The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 337 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/02/14
I like the theme, and I think we all have moments we can identify with your main character’s line of thought. However, the way you worked it out keeps us at a distance. We don’t get really into his head or heart. For example, you wrote your first paragraph entirely in the third person. I would suggest you add some thoughts in the first person. I would also like to know more details of what he’s feeling, seeing, smelling etc. during his “unplugged” time on his way to and in the cabin in the woods to emphasize the contrast with his normal, “plugged” life. Put yourself into his shoes and share his reluctance and liberation with your readers.
05/03/14
This entry was right on target with the theme. It does lack the detail that would draw a reader into the room with the Main Character (MC). There are some unanswered questions that would add interest. For example, why does he think a cabin in the woods is necessary? What does he hope two days will change about his life?

I encourage you to keep writing, expanding on your ability to accurately describe a situation until it becomes so real that the reader can experience the story along with the characters.
To make this "click" for me, I needed to know just why he needed a vacation and why he didn't like to be in front of his computer.

With just a little more information at the first it would have fallen into place.