The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1039 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/12/12
This is a sweet story, and a sad one at the same time.

I got a little confused during the dialogue at who was talking. Twice, in the last section of dialogue, you continued Fred's dialogue with a space between, making it appear that Nancy was talking. I kept having to go back to figure out who was talking. Also, a tag on the end of a couple more lines of dialogue showing what the characters are doing and/or just to keep us on track with who is talking would be nice.

It is sweet to see the commitment that Nancy has for Fred, even though he doesn't remember her. Nice story. :)
01/12/12
My mother did that, when she had dementia. She remembered me in pictures as a teenager, but not the adult I was. It's a bittersweet experience for the loved ones. But it must be very frustrating for the person with dementia. Thank you for showing us that frustration.

And for giving us a reminder that we need to visit our loved ones often, even if they don't quite remember as we do.
01/12/12
Beautiful story! I agree that it was hard to follow the dialouge, but other than that, I really enjoyed it. Good luck!
01/12/12
What a touching love story. I like how you focused on the loving commitment of marital vows. We all need a Nancy in our lives. Good job. Keep it up.
I agree with the others that the conversation needed ownership as it got confusing. However, I placed myself in that room easily remembering my father while he was in a nursing home a few years ago.

Touching love story.

Good Job!
01/14/12
Your title is creative and a great fit for the story. This is a well-written piece with dialogue that is natural and endearing.

There's just one spot where the dialogue could confuse the reader." "She loved to dance, that girl. We used to dance the night away, out under the stars in summer"

That's an easy fix with a, "Fred continued..." before of after the statement.

Sooner or later, all of us could have a Fred in our family. You give an eloquent description of the toll this disease takes.

What a dynamite conclusion! Great job.
I love this. You nailed the topic without mentioning the word commitment- very well done.

Though I have read several Alzheimer stories, this one felt fresh and really grabbed my heart. This is my favorite so far this week. Great job.
01/19/12
Congratulations on your win!
God Bless~
01/19/12
Congrats, Ebony! You're on the podium! ;)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03/28/12
Ebony, I'm going to feature this story on the Front Page Showcase for the week of April 23. Look for it on the FaithWriters home page--and congratulations!