The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 987 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/12/12
Writing poetry is not easy. Keep working at it.
01/12/12
This was hard to follow for me. Good luck and keep writing!
I think commited love happened and then fell apart.

Try reading this out loud to see where punctuation fits in.

Great attempt at poetry, it is hard to write. Don't give up!
01/13/12
Perhaps the 3 critiques need to read this poem out loud. And really read it. Do not skim it but read it to your significant other. Your will read man is imperfect but God is perfection.

Next time you critique make certain YOU really read or DO NOT offer your opinions.

When I do not like a written piece, I ignor.

This poem is deep and probably past the average reader. It is intended for those who have lived, suffered with brokiness and has come to the foot of the cross because God is our only source of truth and hope for a meaningful life.

You obviously have no ability to know the depths of a soul and can not appreciate writing from those dark places.

01/14/12
In my opinion, this poem moves from man's relationship to man to man's relationship with God. There ARE some rhyme, meter, and syntax issues. However, the symbolism and imagery to describe commitment by man to each other, man to God, and God to man is clear.

With more attention to the stated problems above, this poem has lots of potential.

Opinions are just that, and all opinions should be respected.

Here's some good advice that I read about writing poetry:

•Show your poem to others and ask for criticism. Don’t be content with a response like, “That’s a nice poem.” You won’t learn anything from that kind of response. Instead, find people who will tell you specific things you need to improve in your poem"
This is really lovely. I imagine, depending on where the reader is at what point in life will affect how one reads it. I like pieces that speak different things to different people.

I'm not sure but I think instead of limitations that very, you may have wanted vary. At least that is how I read it. Perhaps knealt is a British spelling but I'm used to seeing it as knelt.

I think some may have difficulty following as you went quite deep. But for everyone who stumbled, you will never know how many other people your words may touch and in ways you may never envision.

It's wonderful how God uses words like these.

Lastly, try to remember every comment is just an opinion, one person's POV. I know when I leave feedback, I pray first and try to be honest. Though it is always nice to hear,"Great job" I have grown most from constructive comments and from learning what works for some may not work for others. I write and offer critiques to glorify God and that is what is most important.
01/14/12
You packed a lot into this poem, and it truly is deep.
It was rather long for a poem, but I liked it for its richness and variety.

As for all the varied comments, I see it as a very, very good thing. I would much rather have a variety of comments than no comments at all (which has happened with a couple of my own pieces; afterwards I figured they must have really been off the mark. Yes, I did learn something from it, but I'd rather have some comments, whether good or bad, than none at all).

I'm sure that all these critiques will be a great learning experience, and I'll bet that if this poem doesn't win a prize, your next one will.