The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 648 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/20/11
Very good dialogue that moves the story along.

You use many passive verbs (was, were), which makes the piece weak in places.

Good job of portraying your main character's thoughts and feelings:)
10/22/11
Good job. I love the message, that Jesus is our everything - no need for a search engine. God is our everything, and that is the message that I clearly get.

God Bless~
10/22/11
For your thoughts and prayers next try consider using italics so that you can cut down on the quotes. Other than that, I can see this story happening in real life, dialogue both internal and external is very realistic. Great job and keep writing
This piece is well-written. Unfortunately, the topic "search engine" is not the central focus of thee entry. It is creative, starts well, and flows smoothly. The ending was unpredictable. Great job.
10/23/11
Your strength was #2 (unique, fresh, memorable). Your apporach to this story is unique--something that I really appreciate.

Work on #1 (on topic). The topic was addressed quite early in the story, but wasn't really essential to the story that you wanted to tell, so it felt like an afterthought.

#6 (communication, clarity) was another strong point of this creative entry.
10/24/11
This was an interesting read and seemed very realistic. It seems hard to convince many young people today of the need to learn and memorize grammar and math, etc., when in daily life they don’t see the need, they can just pull out a calculator or computer and get their answers. The teacher teaching jewelry was very wise in her approach! And the ending message in this was great, anything we are, any talent we possess comes from God! This may be considered a bit weak on topic, but the idea of using a search engine instead of our brains was clearly there and stood out well I think! Good job.
You did a good job of showing that we all have areas that come easier for us and areas that frustrate us. The wisdom of your character shows up in her ability to see where to to get help for things outside her interest and to see the source for the area where she is gifted. And yes, the knowledge of our Savior's interest in our lives should move us as it did her.
This is a charming story. I liked the dialog and thought you did a great job on building the characters. The topic was a little weak. You mentioned a search engine but it wasn't the main theme of the story. You were quite creative and this was an interesting read. Some of the sentences needed to flow a but more. Have someone read it aloud and if they stumble you may want to restructure the sentence. This is a perfect story for 10-14 year olds, It's a great message and is important to learn how to compromise.
10/27/11
I thought the message was wonderful. The acknowledgement that all of our creativity and talent stems from God is so important for us to remember. Nice dialogue as well.
Congratulations for ranking 11th in level one!
11/06/11
Congratulations on coming 11th! Well done!