The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 769 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/18/10
That was the "good old days." And, yes, I remember the "Phew" part very well. When I was a kid, there wasn't a lot of lawn to mow, but when we moved to the farm on which we now live, it was about 3 times the size of the other one. I was 16 years old, and it was all my job. Now, if the mower was sharp, well that helped a whole bunch, but when i went away to school, there soon was a gas mower. Great job expressing this. Really got a charge out of the guy that forgot to give you the tract!
Interestingly enough, I JUST FINISHED fighting with my lawnmower before sitting down to read the challenges. While out there contolling my temper, I told my neighbor how much I missed the "whirl" of a push mower along with the ability to USE IT! What timing...you definitely touched on a bygone era that most of us can relate to. I enjoyed your story very much and laughed out loud at your captivated audience of neighborhood kids.
02/19/10
Your story is engaging, especially when the children are curious and entertained.
02/20/10
THAT THING was fun. i've never actually used a reel mower, but i have thought about it as a special experience for my kids. well done.
Oh you took me back. The first house I bought came with one of those mowers. You described it and the neighborhood children perfectly.
Kep doing "that thing" you do called writing. Nice job.

I live in the snow capital where we measure the snow by feet, not inches.
You had me dreamin of better days!