The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1244 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Whew! That was moving. I was not real thrilled with the way it went back and forth from her thoughts to a narrator and some of it was a bit redundant. I don't think the narrator should say the same thing she is thinking to herself. I do like the way it had a surprise ending. I was not prepared for that at all. With a little work this could be a very powerful story. Good job. I wonder if its true.
08/13/06
This was a moving piece. One of my professors in seminary was at the church in Fort Worth that was targeted by a gunman. Your story reminded me of some of the real life accounts from that incident. I know you used thoughts to act as dialogue but you blended the thoughts and the narration at times. Perhaps a different voice for the thoughts would have helped (first person).
08/14/06
This didnt sound like a beginners work. I didn't have a problem at all with your narrator and first person thoughts. I guess different things for different readers. It was very moving and I didn't expect the end. I know with more words you could have developed it more to your liking. Good Good story.

Lisa Cox
08/14/06
I really liked this piece. I can only hope that I had even 1/2 of the impact that Lydia had on my non-Christian roommates and suite mates. None of them ever came to church with me or became Christians while we were roommates, but I can always hope I had an impact on them. Thanks for the great read.
08/14/06
Mastercrafted! You painted a vivid picture, I was right there reaching our for lydia. There other comment is correct, this does not belong in Beg.
08/14/06
Well, look at you grow! That was certainly a tough style to try and tackle for a beginner but you show GREAT promise!! More, more!!!
08/14/06
Me! Me! You wrote about me! A creative being screaming to be noticed, uncertain of their calling at times. This is in beginners?! What? I really enjoy how you tell a story with this style of writing. Beutimus!! That's a word, really it is!!!
08/14/06
Okay, no, I'm not crazy. Something got messed up! That last comment was for another entry. Yet the first one was for this entry. Now I'm going to point to this comment from the other entry!!!
08/14/06
It was a little confusing at times, maybe have more "show" instead of "tell" and some dialog. But a very nice start to a possibly longer piece.
08/14/06
This was definitely a challenge to write in the beginner's category. You did well with the dialogue and narrative. With some work and without the 750-word limit, you could really have a nice story. The ending was a little "story-book" ... if you could end it with a not-so-pat ending, it would enhance the effect of your story. Nice job! :)
08/15/06
Excellent piece. A bit narrator heavy, but I see a great story here. It flows well and has an overall easy read. Nicely done. :)
08/15/06
I loved the way you set the scene, appealing to several senses made it very real for me. It's good to see you take on a bigger chunk of the word count. Very unexpected ending! Well done for that creative twist. As this is a short story you need to work out what is absolutely essential to say rather than try to tell a life's story in a limited word count. Big smiles, yeggy.


08/15/06
Very nicely done!!! Definitely surprised by the ending - great twist! Very good title - fit your piece perfectly!