The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2000 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
12/07/05
Lovely story. You have very precious memories of Aunt Emma which may return nostalgically every spring.
This was just beautiful!
Beautiful. Such precious memories of Aunt Emma and the love you shared. She sounds like someone I'd enjoy knowing. Really enjoyed this. Well done.
12/07/05
A very sweet story of the very young caring deeply for the very old; it was nicely done.
12/08/05
Very nicely written story--but it seems like the mom would have told the daughter of Aunt Emma's death when it happened.

Lots of hope and healing at the end, nice touch.
12/08/05
I agree with Jan's comment: the story works well without the month delay. Well Done.
12/08/05
A couple of throwaway lines there really caught my eye - “victory often grows out of patience and struggle.” and “everything rests…before starting…over...” That is lovely wisdom! I alo thought the contents of the postcard was harshly written and rather abrupt.
12/10/05
This was just beautiful. And since I remember from earlier writings why your mother's abrupt and neglegent notice - it all fits well together. Beautiful - just beautiful.
12/11/05
What a heartwarming story about a beloved aunt. I could just picture her. My heart went out to the young woman notified of her aunt's death so casually and so long after the fact. I could almost feel her pain. You brought me right into this experience.
12/11/05
Very lovely. Written well, good descriptions. I enjoyed this a lot! Thanks!
12/12/05
Daffodils are my favorite too! I can almost smell them now. :0) Wonderfully told with lots of hidden nuggets.
12/13/05
Beautiful ... tender ... but I can't believe the mother didn't tell her?! Beautifully written. Congratulations on your win - it is well deserved!