The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1870 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/31/05
I how you communicated the struggle of holding on to your past so tightly, that we can't go forward. Well done!
10/31/05
Such a unique story! What was your inspiration?
What a spell you wove! Such a creative take on this topic! Fascinating storytelling.
11/01/05
Wow..this was chilling and unique. I liked it alot. Very intense descriptions, I felt I was there, wondering who would get out. Nice work! God bless ya, littlelight
11/01/05
This is a story of scent. You describe the many fragrances and their emotional ties well.
11/01/05
I love stories with double meanings. This one still has me thinking.
11/01/05
creepy! It felt like a twilight zone episode. very cool, with spiritual implications.
11/02/05
I loved your story. Strong feelings are often attached to scents. Yep, need to stay on the straight and narrow and not get side tracked by the pull of flesh. I want to read more of your work.
11/02/05
I liked "Impious Street" and "Natasburg." Very clever.
11/04/05
After reading your story, memories of aromas from my own past came rushing by. They say our sense of smell is the most nostalgic. Great article; quite creative. :)
11/04/05
Once again, some of these essays surpass the level of "advanced," this is one; so well done, multiple levels. Bravo.
11/04/05
Bravo indeed! Fantastic work, Ben.
11/04/05
Wow -that was very well done.
11/04/05
Wow. It's so scary how we become bent on our own will. The way they ignored the advice to keep going out of town was so true to life.
My favourite line: "Yet, there were others that appeared haggard and weary, a hallow gaze indicated a fatigue, yet they stayed" Such truth in that.
:) Karen
Masterful storytelling. I am envious of your talent! :) Powerful stuff. Well done.
11/05/05
Cool! How easily we humans are ensnared by things (past sins remembered, our lives before God, guilt) that quickly take the place of God if we aren't careful. Thanks for reminding me that even the most innocent of things like a smell could lead down the garden path of destruction. Great story:)
11/06/05
Wonderful Ben, so hard to do allegory well. Great that your character learnt by his mistake and won't go down that path again. (sigh)
11/07/05
Ben, congratulations on your Highly Commended Award for Level 3. You also ranked in 10th place overall (out of 145 entries) - which is fantastic, because as you said, this was a different style for you. Well done! Love, Deb (Challenge Coordinator)
03/03/06
Very, very different for you, Ben! I loved your creativity and the message you deliver. You made me really stop and think with this one. I'm sorry I missed reading it before but I'm glad I had the chance now. Exceptionally well-crafted. No wonder it came close to placing. :-)
This was wonderful!!! Well done.
03/06/06
Wow! What storytelling...my curious mind wants to know, though, if there is some significance to the name Abaddon? or is it just made up?