The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 389 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/08/18
Excellent job with the topic!
Great message and entry.
Blessings~
02/08/18
Very well done. I like how you showed her trust, no matter who rejected her.
I enjoyed your opening paragraph. It pulled me in. I like that you created a conflict right out of the blocks. I felt connected to the characters.

A few things to note: Start a new paragraph each time someone different speaks. I could see the little girl using the term bestest, but maybe not the woman. Be careful about having POV shifts. Since it is told from the POV of Serena, the reader can only know what she sees, thinks, or says. To show you what I mean, I might edit it like this: As Serena listened, she understood and believed. She felt her spine tingle as a sense of peace took root. She noticed the lady's eyes sparkled and a smile peeked through her wrinkles as she wrapped her arms around Serena. (This shows what Serena might have noticed instead of shifting into the woman's head.)
Later, Serena’s parents picked her up. She looked at their serious faces. <i> I wonder if they notice a difference in me. </i> Closing her eyes, she bowed her head. <i>Dear Jesus, I promise to follow you and read the Bible, after I bug Mom to buy me one. Thank you for being my bestest friend. </i> (This helps pull the readers in while also tightening the lines.)

I think you did a great job of showing not telling in the first paragraph, but then you switched to more telling. By tightening sentences and deleting everything that doesn't move the story forward, you'll have more words to use, which will help keep that visual description going.

Overall, I think you did a great job. I can feel your passion. I enjoyed your characters. It might be a tad weak on topic, but you do mention it at the end. Ideally, the whole story is about the topic, and if I didn't know the topic, I could guess. You have a great message. I believe it will touch many hearts. You have a great foundation and if you tweak it a bit, I think you could do great things.
Powerful story!