The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 498 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/07/15
Wow - this was so moving and inspiring! I pray all is well with you, and thank you for sharing with us.

Amazing,

God bless~
05/08/15
Lovely testimony.
05/08/15
This kept me fully engaged from the first word to the last--well done! I'm not sure if it's fiction or creative nonfiction, but it doesn't matter in the least--you made me care deeply about Meagan, and to feel emotionally connected to her.

There are a few things that you might want to look at more closely in future writings, however. You have some comma splices (for example, the final sentence of the third paragraph, among others), some semicolons that were used incorrectly (the one in the 7th paragraph, among others), and some missing commas (quite a few of them). Meagan's thoughts and prayers should be in italics. And a few times, you (the writer) stepped out of the story and addressed the reader, which is a little bit disconcerting.

I loved the pacing, with the varied sentence lengths making the reader screech to a halt once or twice, and with a lovely flow toward the end. This is a hallmark of a good writer. I'm delighted to have read this entry.
05/09/15
This was a really engaging story. I was caught up in it all the way.
You did a nice job with this. I could relate to the MC, often feeling like once I overcame one obstacle, two more were placed in front of me. You reminded me that I do need to have more faith, to give it to God instead of wrestling for control.

In the beginning, I noticed you seemed to do more telling than showing. Then in the paragraph that starts one morning, you did a fantastic job of showing and creating a picture for me. I know sometimes it feels like you need to do more telling to set the scene, but you can combine them both. For example:
Megan barely flinched when the doctor informed her of her diagnosis. Patting her shoulder, Dr. Smith guided her to the chair. "I'm sorry, Megan; you've been through so much--an abusive childhood, financial problems, divorce. With your faith though, I believe you can beat this cancer."
Of course, I realize you'd do it differently, but wanted to show how you can create that backstory with emotions, dialog, and action.

You did a splendid job in that one paragraph, so I've no doubt that you will be able to continue to blossom. You did a great job of using the topic and relating to the reader. Your message is powerful and one I really needed right now. I found myself nodding as I read, and then you quoted from my favorite hymn. Have no doubt that God used your words to give me hope and to remind me of his power and how much he loves me to have me read this right now. I also have no doubt that your words will continue to bless others in ways you may never envision.
I can't help you out with the grammar, pacing, "stepping outside the story" or whatever the comment was. I just want to let you know that this story gave me God-bumps, and I'm beginning to realize what I've gotten myself into as I begin writing for these challenges. Wow! Great story. Thank you.
05/17/15
First off, overall, you tell a great story here.

I can see a couple of times where you "step out" as Jan mentions. The first is where you say: Ah, but there it is, isn’t it, “out of her control.” It's almost like you say "Hey, reader. In case you didn't catch this..." "And then it was" is another part where you kind of address the reader. Finally, the quote from the biography also feels a bit out of place.

In general, be VERY careful of quoting any work that is not yours, including song lyrics. Yes, we see song lyric all over the place. But unless they are in the public domain, it's technically a copyright violation to quote any part of it. Don't worry about it on this one, but it would be good to check in the future.

Hope this helps you some! And I really did like the story. You captured her emotions well.