The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 501 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
You give some good advice but it read like an essay. You used the word manuscript at least 6 times. However your part about interviewing the 92 year old man was interesting and full of vivid descriptions. I wish you had included more of this sort of character into your work. You left me longing to know more about who and what you've written. Keep writing it is evident that you enjoy your craft.
I enjoyed reading your article, but one thing I find useful when writing is separating paragraphs by one space. It makes anything easier to follow. Otherwise a very well written piece. Thank you and God bless.
I still write my stories out on paper sometimes. It's a good thing to practice. However, I'm glad I have a modern pen, and don't have to make my own ink like the monks did. Interesting article.
You are so right about researching the time and place. I've had fun doing it myself and have learned so very much which is exciting in itself. I would have loved to have chatted with that 92 year old man and relived his memories with him. I could almost feel his delight in reminiscing!
05/07/10
Interesting essay!

A few suggestions: go to the forums (link at the top of the page) and read through a few of the threads, especially those in the "Writing" and "Writing Challenge" message boards. You'll get a great idea there of what 'works' in the Writing Challenge. And you might like to read through 2 or 3 of the top placers each week, too.

This is really good writing--I'd love to know more about the 92-year-old man, and also about the tedium of copying out MSs by hand. Keep writing--I expect we'll be seeing really good things from you.