The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 402 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/13/17
I really enjoyed the story and the style of your writing.

Here is some Red Ink to help with the effectiveness of the story-telling tools you use:
1. You don't need to include the title in the main body of the story. This will give you an extra word (or so) which sometimes adds a lot.
2. Since the format of the writing challenge doesn't allow indenting, try putting spaces between each paragraph to make it easier to read.
3. I like the halting nature of this part, "Arranged time off. A flight. The services. Crying. Holding Janie. Breathe one, two, and three…. Breathe. Vent it off." Personal thought: try putting each of those on a separate line to add to the halting nature of her thoughts.
07/13/17
You have an amazing way of showing the story come to life.

This prayer really grabbed my attention.
"Lord, please help me. I need to press through all these thoughts that keeping crowding me away from you. I’m hurting, and I’m angry, and I can’t seem to reach you, the one person who can touch this pain. You’re the only one who can heal my broken heart."

Good job
Grr. I'm frustrated because I had a very long comment that I accidentally erased. I'll try to recreate as much of it as possible.

First, let me start out by telling you what a fantastic job you did with this piece. The pain of the MC is palpable. I really liked how you introduced the conflict right away. It pulled me in and made me want to keep reading.

My initial thought on your first sentence was it was a bit of a cliché. Personally, I don't think the personification of the dawn worked for me, but that's just one opinion. However, the next sentence was beyond brilliant. It let me know what a talented writer you are. Not only did it create a wonderful mental picture, but it set the tone for the story. It's obvious that sleep and the comforter are not the only things slipping away from this wonderfully created MC.

In the middle, you slipped from third person to first for just a second. The best way to avoid things like that is to leave the story alone for a few hours then read it aloud.

You may want to put thoughts in italics. There's a thread on the forums that walks you through how to do different formatting like that.

Last, I don't think you needed to use the topic word as often as you did (which wasn't a lot, but some of the best on-topic stories never mention the topic word.) In my opinion, you nailed the topic in a fresh and powerful way. The MC's anguish was definitely strangling her, nagging her, pushing in on her heart and you did an outstanding job of showing that.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this from beginning to end. I so look forward to reading more of your work.
07/13/17
I agree with the comments above. Also, a good depiction of what fresh pain is like. I really hope this isn't from personal experience. Good job, keep writing!
07/14/17
Enjoyed your writing. Waking up the morning after a devastation is something most people have experienced and can relate to. That sinking feeling was portrayed well as was the turmoil of spirit. To close the piece with surrender was good.
07/14/17
My heart ached for the MC throughout this piece. I pray this wasn't based on a true event, but if so...my heart goes out to you even more so.

Thanks for sharing...
God bless you~
07/14/17
Great job on making us feel the MC and her anguish.

A good take on the topic.

I agree on the spacing between paragraphs. My old eyes have a hard time focusing on the story if no white between.

I would have liked to have seen a little more development on the phone call. That was such an emotional point of the story. I think you could have played that out a little more. that is my opinion. It would have made this old man cry.

Instead of just coming out with the phone call recall, you might have inserted her what she was feeling then just before the recall.

Great job and will watch for your future writing.
07/20/17
Congrats!
Blessings~