The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 444 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/13/14
Very well done! I really enjoyed your piece.

God bless~
02/14/14
I loved the name change at the end. Well done.
This piece is powerful. You did an outstanding job of allowing the MC to lay her feelings out, transparent for all to see. I know I have felt that same way and even cried out to God, pleading with him, so your piece really resonated in my heart.

The beginning was a bit slow in my opinion, but of course that is just my opinion. I wasn't exactly sure what had happened earlier, though I suspect because you are so invested in this character that it was difficult for you to separate the one part from the rest. You may want to consider starting without the background information. Instead, just plunge right in with this great line: Eating budding foliage and an occasional fish from a stream, Deidree trudged on--tired, bruised, and cold. I've done a similar thing, thinking I need to give a lot of back story, especially if I'm writing a true version of my life or adding to the stories of my favorite character. I hope to combine them at some point for a book. The challenge has helped me to write new chapters for my MC and I often find her in situations that might never had been if not for a challenge topic. It's great to see stories develop from this challenge and it has been a huge blessing for me and from what I can tell, I believe it will bless you too.

Your dialog was the strongest part of the story for me. I felt like I was right there eavesdropping. The pain and anger felt so real. You also had a strong message. I think most people need reminding from time to time that God carries us when need be. You showed his love for us. Your ending was nice too. It left me with a warm fuzzy feeling. Keep reading as much as you can and never stop writing. You will continue to blossom and touch others in a wonderful ways.
I really enjoyed this story and certainly wanted to read more. This story reminded in many ways of the story of Ruth from scripture. I hope that you will someday publish the entirety of this book. I would love to read it in its entirety. Excellent job! Wonderful character!!