The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 388 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/30/13
Wow - that was quite a story! It's very different, and had an authentic "tone" to it.

Good job with the details and showing what emotions the MC was undergoing.

God bless~
Wow, this is a powerful story. You did a nice job of building the suspense. Each paragraph compelled me to want to keep reading. My heart ached for the MC.

When using parenthetical elements, make sure you put the comma before and after. EX: my ex-husband, Carol, stood there.

You definitely nailed the topic in more than one way. I can so relate to wanting to run to my mother's arms, but she isn't there to hold me. I am comforted by the love of Jesus and can feel his arms almost as distinctly as I had felt my mother's. I hope this isn't a true story. You did an excellent job of allowing the reader to feel the humility, shame, and pain. Nice job.
08/31/13
A bit of gritty, realistic fiction here, which will appeal to those who enjoy a bit of an edge to their reading.

I'd caution you to be a bit more restrained with your adjective and adverb use. It's far more effective to use strong nouns and verbs, and in particular you had more -ly words than necessary.

I appreciated that you didn't solve all of your narrator's problems in the end, leaving the ending in your readers' imaginations. That's skillfully done.
Just enough adjectives in the right places to keep the reader in pace with the verbs.

Good use of both adjectives and verbs.

In my first read through I some how skipped the name Carol so I was wondering a little about the MC and high heels she/he was wearing and carrying.

I think I finally got it though.

The kind of scenes in short stories.
08/31/13
Thanks to everyone for reading and leaving constructive critiques and insightful comments. I have a lot to learn. God's direction and guidance will bring to fruition his plan for our lives.