The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 743 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/18/13
Very descriptive piece of writing. We can be rattled by life's circumstances, but that grace is always there for us... Keep writing!
05/21/13
I enjoyed this entry, as it shows being rattled when circumstances and emotions come together with such force. Good job with the topic. Well written.
05/21/13
Not only a creative approach with the topic, but a powerful message as well.

Nicely done. God bless~
This is a story I think many people can relate to. I used to think the same thing and realized the Bible doesn't say that God won't give us more than we can handle but it says I can handle all things through Christ who strengthens me. It's just a little twist but it makes all the difference. Your verse you used also backs up the importance of needing Jesus to help us handle the hard times.

If you could add some dialog and do more showing and less telling it would make your story even more powerful. For example this line: Diane quickly checked on her children, they were frightened but uninjured.
is telling but change it just a bit and you can have more showing: Diana twisted around and touched her children's arms and legs. Relief washed over her when she realized they were safe. "Stay here while Mommy checks on the people in the other car."
Adding the dialog helps the reader picture things. You could even have the kids answer her back. Don't be afraid to use all 750 words. You told a great story and I did want to read more which is always a good sign.

My heart thumped when I read the line about wanting to pick up the phone and call Mom. My mom has been gone for 20 years and I still find myself wanting to do that and remember that horrible grieving period right after she died when it did feel like God didn't quite know what he was doing because I didn't think I could handle the pain. But like you showed so well in the end, He does get it and is always there for us. This is a beautiful reminder of God's love for us and how he does truly know that we can handle things that we don't think we can. He never leaves us alone.