The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1709 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/20/06
Glad He can see the whole picture. I'm glad she was able to overlook her dreams to see what He had in store for her! Good emotion!
07/22/06
Your message is inspiring--but it takes months, sometimes years, to prepare to go on the mission field. Something to fix in future edits? But I'm really glad that Deanna decided to stay with Jeff. A testament to loyalty and faith.
07/22/06
Good job! How true it is when our plans and dreams don't line up with His plans, it does take the wind out of our sail for the moment. But when we yield to His ways, everything works for our good according to His purpose. Good writing and great message.
07/25/06
Left me smiling. You demonstrated very well the rewards of caring for those who are in need. Nicely done.
07/25/06
A beautiful description of compassion and sacrafice. Wonderful. I loved this.
07/25/06
What a lovely story.

I do wonder at the mission agency they went through - usually it takes years of preparation for both parties - but I'm just being nit-picky.

Knowing it is true makes this all the more special.
This is a great piece. And knowing it's true makes it all the more greater.
You've selected a wonderful topic for 'soul', Rita! My heart goes out to each missionary who has given up home and hearth to face the rigors of life on a mission field. Thank you for this gripping reminder!
07/26/06
Rita, this is beautiful. I understand that "call" all too well, wondering why God would choose such a one as me. Thank you for sharing and stirring in others the need to pray for those in foreign lands sacrificially serving by putting hands and feet to the love of God. :)
Rita, this is wonderful. You revealed the love so well. I can see what you mean about having to cut out so much to get it to 750 words. But that's OK. We all understand that it was a period of several months cut down into 750 words, making it look like she went to the mission field a few days later. Great job.
I really like the story here. There were a few typos etc., but those could be easily fixed. (I had a few this week myself. lol)

My one suggestion to make it clearer about the passage of time would be to put an extra line of space between time periods.

Like when she says "It's me." The line before that they are next to each other, so that threw me off for a minute. If there was an extra line of space, then it would be more obvious that she was calling on the phone (without the extra word count of actually coming out and saying it.)

Still, a wonderful story to be able to pass down through your family. Thanks for sharing it here with your extended family. :)
08/03/06
Rita, I loved this story. How many of us have had something like this happen in their lives? When I was engaged, my fiance told me he was joining the Air Force. His draft number was 36. The only person I knew who'd married someone in the Air Force had to go to Ethiopia. I SO didn't want to go there. I was only 20 years old and didn't want to leave my friends, whom I found had left me, anyway, as they traveled off to distant colleges. My fiance ended up compromising and being a pilot in the Air National Guard. Years later, my daughter faced this as her fiance told her he always wanted to do Youth Ministry. She told him, although she's a strong Christian, she had no desire to do that because it would take too much time from their family. I'm happy to see someone be able to trust like your heroine did. We can miss out on God's plan A for our lives without faith. He blesses it every time! Thanks for the reminder!