The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2351 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/25/06
Thank you for a different view of the homeless--so many people simply see 'what' they are instead of who they are. And, sadly, I'm sure they are run off from the churches, the very place they should be able to go for help.
Watch punctuation--it steals from your clarity and from your story. Using different punctuation marks can add to the depth of the character's emotions and paint a more clear picture of what's going on in their mind.
Again, thanks for a new perspective.
05/25/06
Good story. Sometimes joy hides,and waits for the hunter to find it.

05/26/06
I love this portrait of a homeless person. Food for thought at its very best. Great entry!
05/26/06
This is a beautiful story! I loved the line "soaked through the beautiful colors in the glass." I could nearly hear the music too. I never knew there was a problem such as this. Wonderful character! I loved this!
05/26/06
I was so swept up by the story line, that I wanted to follow them into the church. I can hear her singing in my mind, right along side the other choir members.Thank you for this beautiful story full of joy and compassionate service!
05/26/06
Very nice work.
Not only a beautiful story, but wonderful characterization. I loved her monologue with the lamp post, and the maestro's "All the great artists were crazy!" And yes, true to life; while assisting street ministers in Boston (and in prisons), I was amazed at the brain and talent pool waiting to be tapped! Wonderful piece.
05/28/06
I've met many such as Myra. We tend to make assumptions of others based upon their present condition, or social status forgetting that the present is not yet the summation of their life while the hope another day exists. Very good writing!
05/28/06
This is one of my favorites of yours, perhaps becuase of the beautiful music you send sounding through my brain. You've created a marvelous character!
Excellent writing! You really know how to capture your characters & setting. This would make a great chapter in a book.
05/28/06
I really enjoyed the storyline and the setting you created...it was so nicely done. Would like to mention that although I understand the purpose of the song in a different language, I would have enjoyed reading AND understanding. Nice message. Too many "Myra's" are often overlooked. Jo
05/28/06
Also...loved Myra's character. You created such a unique individual!
05/29/06
Oh my! I didn't know! Surely there is a ministry, an awareness that roams the streets looking for these disconnected people!

Beautiful and haunting.

By the way, what is, ...'eyes budging...'? ;) (is it a German term?) ;)
05/29/06
PS. I loved this. It's one a person doesn't forget.
I loved it. You flawlessly created the characters. They were so real. Thanks for the reminder that there are so many out there who need a "sponser".
05/30/06
This is one of your best stories, I think. It's such a simple story about such a complex issue - and you've brought it to light beautifully.
05/30/06
Very nice job! I thought the characterization was excellent. I am curious about the song. A little hint of what it is would have made it better for me but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. And I loved that it ended well. I wouldn't have liked the idea of a church group running off a homeless person although I am sure that it happens.