The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1748 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Very vivid. The conflict is given in the overheard phone conversation which keeps the reader on the edge, feeling the heat. Great job!
Great word description. I could see and feel the anger. God bless you.
I can feel her blood boiling! Your word pictures work. It's good to see a piece of fiction.
02/03/05
Wow. Terrific sound, smell, and feel of anger. Great word-painting. Good Job!
03/16/05
Hmm...I think you might have tried to accomplish too much in too small a space with this one. Events moved too fast, and the symbolism of the storm was a bit overdone, I think...but again, I realize you were limited by word-count restrictions. It's clear what you were attempting, which is good...I just think this one could have used a bit more time cooking. (and perhaps drop it from a full boil to a simmer - sometimes understated anger is more powerful that the full-blown variety)

I like how you left questions unanswered in the piece. It helps to let the piece stay in the mind longer than if things had beem resolved. I wonder what she was refering to in the phonecall, and who the other person was...that kind of thing. Gives the reader something extra to take away.
This is completely not fair. I was on the edge of my seat, trying to figure out who was on the phone and what they wanted and you NEVER TOLD ME! LOL. I should've known better. "The befouling smell of mayhem rolled over her, as thoughts tumbled wildly across her mind." This sentance is beautiful. One thing I noticed is how your dialogue is improving over time and practice. This story relied heavily on dialogue and I found it to be one of your "weaker" stories (if that's possible.) Even when I say 'weaker' it's still incredible. I'm very surprised that I haven't seen you place yet. Wondering when I'll come across the first blue ribbon hanging in the upper left corner.