The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 495 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/27/16
I enjoyed your story. Red ink: you wrote "cell phone located a half mile away". Makes it read as though the phone is 1/2 mi away.
02/27/16
I enjoyed your story. Red ink: you wrote "cell phone located a half mile away". Makes it read as though the phone is 1/2 mi away.
02/28/16
What a great answer to prayer, while being a character and faith-former!
The story built up really well, and ended with the perfect scripture ref.
Well done.
02/29/16
You stayed on topic well, and I thought this was very well written. Nice job.
03/02/16
Enjoyed your story. I felt I was right there in your grandma's kitchen wanting a slice of that bread.

You stayed on topic but your piece also a wonderful example of patience, God's plan and His timing.


03/03/16
I liked the dialogue between the two MCs. It was believable and inspirational.

My only suggestion is to have each character's dialogue as one paragraph.

Well written. Looking forward to reading more of your stories.
03/03/16
You appealed to your readers' senses here--that's a good way to keep them involved in your story.

I felt that there was a bit of predictability in the ending here--from the moment I read that the narrator was waiting for an important piece of mail, I knew that the letter would eventually come. To prevent that predictability, think of a way you could give your story a bit of a twist.

Your first paragraph is very descriptive, but what you're describing doesn't really move the story along or add to the characterization of the narrator. Can you think of a way that you might get the story rolling sooner, and perhaps add in some of the descriptions of the grandmother later on, during the conversations with the narrator?

Finally, with no description of the narrator, and no name given, the reader doesn't know if they're reading about a male or a female. It's pretty important to provide that information somehow.

I liked the authentic feel of time and place that comes through in every sentence, and the gentle mood of this story.
03/03/16
Congratulations, Dot, on your highly commendable entry in the Intermediate category.