The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 345 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/01/17
​You described the scenes well. It was easy to place myself in the story. Through the storm, it was as if I could hear the men panting for breath, and talking loud (or yelling) to be heard over the wind. These are implied undertones. It would be good to include these types of details in your story.
-----
You wrote a long sentence:
Yet, the two men slowly trudged on, methodically placing one foot in front of the other, but with care least a misplaced step lead to breaking through the packed snow and a fall to certain death.

Punctuation can help with the flow. Splitting in sentences in another suggestion, or rewording.
Yet, the two men slowly trudged on; methodically, they took one step at a time. They had to go slow to prevent a misplaced step; they did not want to break through the packed snow. That would be a fall to certain death.
-----
I did not see the ending coming. That's the way to write. Keep it up!
I find it hard to respond to pieces like these since I have never read of a similar situation in the Bible.

The gospel is about the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus came, born of a virgin but when he was raised from the dead he was declared to be Lord and Christ - The anointed savior. When a person believes Jesus is now Lord, he will want to obey what ever he has commanded. These are the kind of stories I see people experiencing in the Bible.
In response to Larry,
I’m not sure I understand your comment. My first guess is that you are theologically challenging the piece. If I am wrong, please forgive me. If I am right, then please accept the following brief explanation.
First. Since we are limited to 750 words or less, I was not able to fully develop all prior conversations Jim would have had with Ryan regarding the Lordship of Christ. I felt it was implied in the story. I would have loved to develop the wintery scene better as well.
Second. “Lord” is defined, among other things, as Master. When someone submits to someone or something else, that person or thing becomes their master. Just verbally expressing someone is your Lord is not enough. We can say Jesus is Lord all we want, but if there is no submission in your heart to Jesus as Lord then Jesus is not your Lord. In Ryan’s case, he submitted to the Lordship of Jesus Christ by submitting his self to Jesus. Ryan did this by admitting that he had no power to overcome what his sins had done to him, (separated him from God), and that only Jesus has the power to forgive sins. Ryan was saved by faith, through grace! If he had survived, his life would have reflected his new commitment of Jesus being his Lord.
In Christ,