The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1479 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Interesting twist in a Christian story! Your details draw a clear picture of how it feels to be left out. Good work!
02/16/05
Unfortunately, this probably goes on in more churches than we realize. Many visitors are put off by the lack of warmth & welcome in church and I can't blame them! This piece was nicely written. Perhaps it would have been more powerful if you had focused on Lindsey receiving no hospitality from the church and how it left her feeling. Kind of send a stronger message about the lack of welcome in the church. Just my opinion.
Well done though. I enjoyed reading this.
Blessings, Lynda
02/16/05
Sad to say, I can relate. As I finished reading, I thought of the old sitcom Cheers: "Sometimes you wanna go...where everybody knows your name. And they're all so glad you came..."
We need to do a better job of reaching people where they are. Good work.
02/21/05
So sad ... but so possible. Well done. It's a good reminder to each of us who read this.
Congratulations, Verlie on this well-deserved win! I loved the juxtaposition -- A poignant story, hinged on a turning point with perhaps eternal consequences. Good wake up call for Christians to set aside preoccupations and focus on including the excluded.
You brought me right into the church. I saw the people gathering with various looks on their faces. All too often this happens in far too many church settings.

I love poker parties too. Congratulations
02/21/05
Beautifully written.