The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 760 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/08/07
Well written. Your use of the two types of waiting was very powerful. Good job!
03/09/07
Very strong writing. The first 3/4 was very evocative - I could picture the situation.
I'm afraid I'm left a bit puzzled by the ending - sorry to be obtuse.
Fantastic potential here - I can't see you in Level 1 for long.
Loved it. The way you built the story was really wonderful and pulled me in completely.
Thought provoking. Good comparison. The break between the two was confusing however. But all in all a good article.
03/12/07
Agree with the transition between the two; I picked up on it reading that paragraph the second time. A smoother transition would have made this a great fantastic piece rather than just a fantastic piece :)

You have a great imagination and ability to put in on paper. Keep writing and God bless.
03/15/07
You definitely painted a lovely and realistic word picture here but I am a bit confused as to where your overall message. I can definitely see talent here, and look forward to reading more of your writing.
03/20/07
Cathy, I see an excellent writer in the making. This was very good, with an excellent "ouch" message for all those of us who have been blessed with so much.

I was a little uncertain about the setting for the main part of the story (wasn't sure if it was set in biblical times, or some other time in the past, or in the present). It was only when they reached the truck that I was able to bring it closer to the present. The supermarket scene brought it completely into today, but obviously in a different part of the world. Perhaps it would have helped to make the setting and time a little clearer at the beginning, so the reader doesn't end up being distracted trying to work that out.

Also, as some others have commented, the switch to the supermarket was a really sharp shift of gears. It needed something to either bridge into that, or very simply, just use this * * * to divide the two sections. That way, the reader will finder it easier to shift gears with you.

Only saying this because I see such potential. You're a very good writer, and I'm sure you'll do well as you keep honing your skill and rising to the Challenge.

With love, Deb (Challenge Coordinator and Editor, FaithWriters' Magazine)