Green Pastures and Red Tape: Building an Effective Children’s Ministry
Brenda K. Blakely
Anyone preparing to build an effective children’s ministry should begin by looking at the children to be served by the ministry, through the eyes of their creator. God made them to be individuals. No matter the location and/or affiliation of the ministry, the children served will often live in environments that may be more or less than your perception of ideal.
Parents are their God-designated primary caretakers and nurturers.
Children’s ministry workers are in place to come alongside of parents with encouragement, support and developmentally appropriate teaching and activities. Teaching and activities should be based in a curriculum scope and sequence designed to encourage and support orderly, timely growth of the body, mind and spirit of the child. All staff should be aware that “Playing it safe” with the children in their care demonstrates love.
All children’s ministries must be in line with all local, regional and national regulations governing the particular organizational structure, the facility, staff, employment practices, volunteer staffing and confidentiality,
Successful launch of any children’s ministry is a precarious event, under any circumstances. Effective consideration of the following 10 steps for addressing the foundational issues can increase the opportunity for a positive outcome.
1. Assess the need for the particular ministry being considered.
2. Inventory support and resources for the ministry.
3. Determine “who, how, where, what, when and how much” as involved in the ministry operations and administration.
4. Outline a plan using each of the above criteria.
5. Build a support group.
6. Build a body of documentation; to include a statement of belief to which all persons in any kind of staffing position with the ministry must agree.
7. Develop, document and put in place a structure for accountability
This article is an excerpt from the workshop material for “Green Pastures and Red Tape”. All rights are owned by Brenda K. Blakely
For more information contact:
PO Box 1151
Raymond, Ms. 39154
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Brenda Blakely or search for articles on the same topic or others.