BUT GOD ... This phrase and others like thrills me whenever I read them in Scripture!
Why? First of all I am not referring to the times people say "but God" when someone is trying to argue with or excuse themselves for some wrong behavior or complain of an assignment that God has given them, you know by starting out with "But GOD! I can't ..."
No, the "BUT GOD ..." I am referring to is this - -
- But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife. But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation? Gen. 20:3-4
- - God was intervening in behalf of the marriage of Abraham and Sarah!
- And your father hath deceived me, and changed my wages ten times; but God suffered him not to hurt me. Gen.31:7
- And Israel said unto Joseph, Behold, I die: but God shall be with you, and bring you again unto the land of your fathers. Gen. 48:21
- But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. Gen. 50:20
- But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red sea: and the children of Israel went up harnessed out of the land of Egypt. Exo. 13:18
- And David abode in the wilderness in strong holds, and remained in a mountain in the wilderness of Ziph. And Saul sought him every day, but God delivered him not into his hand. 1 Sam. 23:14
- Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's. 2 Chron. 20:15
- But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah. Psa. 49:15
- But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded. Psa.64:7
- My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. Psa. 73:26
- The righteous man wisely considereth the house of the wicked: but God overthroweth the wicked for their wickedness. Prov. 21:12
- The nations shall rush like the rushing of many waters: but God shall rebuke them, and they shall flee far off, and shall be chased as the chaff of the mountains before the wind, and like a rolling thing before the whirlwind. Isa. 17:13
- And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him, Acts 7:9
- And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. But God raised him from the dead: Acts 13:29-30
- For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Rom. 5:7-8
- For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. 1 Cor. 1:26-39
- There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 1 Cor. 10:13
- (Paul speaking of Epaphroditus) For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. Phil. 2:27
- For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness. He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit. 1 Thess. 4:7-8
BUT GOD! Although these do not read with the words, "But God", the following Scriptures have the same meaning . . .
- The enemy will come in like a flood - - BUT GOD will raise up a standard against him! Isaiah 59:19 * For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee. Isa. 60:2
- And as Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to battle against Israel: but the Lord thundered with a great thunder on that day upon the Philistines, and discomfited them; and they were smitten before Israel. 1 Sam. 7:10
- Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all. Psa. 34:19
- They gather themselves together against the soul of the righteous, and condemn the innocent blood. But the Lord is my defence; and my God is the rock of my refuge. Psa. 94:21-22
- Thou hast thrust sore at me that I might fall: but the Lord helped me. Psa. 118:13
- For I heard the defaming of many, fear on every side. Report, say they, and we will report it. All my familiars watched for my halting, saying, Peradventure he will be enticed, and we shall prevail against him, and we shall take our revenge on him. But the Lord is with me as a mighty terrible one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten. Jer. 20:10-11
- We could go on and on!
My dear brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus, the god of this world, satan and his entire world system is set to attack and assault and abuse you at any given moment ... BUT GOD is our defender!
The world under satan and all of satan's agents are trying to convince us that we are going to be defeated ... BUT GOD is mighty in valor and triumphant always against the works of darkness!
When the devil - through whatever agency he may choose at the moment - comes against you and shouts his war cries ... when the people who hate God come against you attacking you for being faithful to God and His Word, they appear to have gained the upper hand, to have all the advantage ... BUT GOD shall arise and by His Spirit He shall vanquish the enemies that come against you!
It may be that YOU are on the battlefield, it may be that YOU are being assaulted, it may be that YOU do not know what to do, it may be that the lines of the enemy are so wide, so high and so deep that you cannot see the victory ... BUT GOD Who is mightier, wiser, more powerful than all enemies combined is telling you what He has always told you THE BATTLE BELONGS TO THE LORD!
Follow Him, stand with Him, obey HIS orders and rely on HIS STRENGTH and you will see wondrous works of victory!
When the enemy comes against you and tells you that he is going to ...
- Take your home
- Take your land
- Take your job
- Take your wife or husband
- Take your children
- Take your car
- Take your health
- Take your wealth
- Take your friends
- Take your family
- Take any and every thing that you hold precious and dear if you don't do what he wants you to do ...
... you can say BUT GOD!
- BUT THE LORD IS MY GOD!
- BUT GOD IS MY DEFENDER!
- BUT GOD OWNS THE HOUSE I LIVE IN
- BUT GOD OWNS THE LAND I LIVE ON
- BUT GOD PROVIDES MY JOB
- BUT GOD PROTECTS MY MARRIAGE
- BUT GOD IS THE AVENGER OF LITTLE CHILDREN
- BUT GOD GIVES ME TRANSPORTATION
- BUT GOD SUSTAINS MY HEALTH
- BUT GOD IS MY TREASURE
- BUT GOD IS MY BEST FRIEND
- BUT GOD AND HIS PEOPLE ARE MY FAMILY
BUT GOD GIVES ME ALL THINGS THAT PERTAIN TO LIFE AND GODLINESS (2 Peter 1:3) BUT GOD WHO IS GREATER AND MIGHTIER AND WISER AND MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU - - HE MAY ALLOW ME TO BE STRIPPED OF ALL THE THINGS OF MY LIFE AS WITH JOB BUT NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS I WILL TRUST IN THE NAME OF THE MOST HIGH GOD BECAUSE WHATEVER YOU THINK YOU ARE ABLE TO DO OR WHATEVER YOU MAY BE ALLOWED TO DO ... GOD IS MY SUSTAINER AND MY SUPPLIER AND THE ONE THING THAT YOU CANNOT TAKE FROM ME IS GOD'S LOVE FOR ME AND MY PLACE IN HEAVEN FOR LIFE EVERLASTING!
YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO KILL ME? BUT GOD SAYS I SHALL NEVER DIE! I MAY PASS FROM THIS EARTH BUT GOD HAS MADE A PLACE FOR ME IN THE THIRD HEAVEN, IN HIS MANSION FOR JESUS HAS BEEN PREPARING A PLACE FOR ME FOR OVER 2000 YEARS AND I AM READY TO GO HOME! DEVIL - - TRY TO DO WHAT YOU WILL BUT GOD IS MY DEFENDER AND MY HIGH TOWER A FORTRESS AND MY VERY PRESENT HELP IN TIME OF TROUBLE!
WHEN YOU COME AGAINST MY NAME YOU COME AGAINST THE NAME OF THE LORD!
WHEN YOU COME AGAINST ME YOU COME AGAINST HE WHO CLAIMS ME WHO IS THE KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS!
YOU MAY THINK I DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH ... BUT GOD HAS DECLARED THAT I AM HIS CHILD AND . . .
- You may form weapons against me - - BUT GOD HAS DECLARED THAT NONE OF THEM WILL PROSPER AGAINST ME!
- You may find things for which to judge and try to condemn me - - BUT GOD HAS DECLARED THAT EVERY TONGUE THAT RISES AGAINST ME IN JUDMENT GOD HIMSELF SHALL CONDEMN!
- GOD HAS DECLARED THAT THIS IS MY HERITAGE AND IN CHRIST JESUS THIS IS PART OF MY INHERITANCE AND NO MAN CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME!
While some may trust in chariots and some may trust in horses and some may trust in the arm of the flesh ... I WILL TRUST IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!
BUT GOD BE EXALTED!
BUT GOD BE GLORIFIED!
COME WHAT MAY - - BUT GOD WILL PREVAIL AND PEOPLE MAY DO WHAT PEOPLE MAY DO BUT GOD WILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY!
We can say with all confidence ... ... the devil and all the demons of the kingdom of darkness and all the people who are the enemies of God may threaten and even attack me; BUT GOD is my father so what is the worst that can possibly happen to me?
AMEN AND AMEN!
Many blessings! Dr. Timothy
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR,
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Dr. Timothy Hoflund or search for other articles by topic below.
Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through
Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.