The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1758 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/20/06
I loved reading this!!! It is such a perfect illustration of what our bodies really are - temporary tents. Thank you for reminding me of that! God bless!
Very nice; a great, entertaining read. I think my favorite line is where you describe just how old the tent is...I know the feeling.
Then - coming in to the warm fire - wow. What a great end.
Thanks for sharing.

God bless,

Kevin
There's some wonderful symbolism in this piece. There's alot more "dying" than just the tent! LOL! I saw one small typo. In the section below you might want to either use different punctuation, or make a complete sentence out of "Family and friends."

"Solitude is nice—the walking and camping alone—but mostly I’ve camped with others. Family and friends."

07/23/06
Never did much camping, but my soul has felt like a storm tossed tent at times. Was kinda hoping the character would see his tent restored to its original condition at the end, but I liked the way you did it too. Excellent story. Very well writen.
Love to camp but more so, I loved your story. I sure hope it places!
07/24/06
Not one mention of "soul" here, but another commenter drew it for me. Great work of artistic thought; and I too loved the "old as...but not as old as..." part. One "I" just before that needs to be deleted...but great read! Loved it through out!
07/25/06
This is wonderful...an extended analogy that just gets better and better as the reader realizes what's taking shape here.
07/25/06
The story just kept unveiling I continued to read. Comparison of the body to this tent was amazingly accurate. Very, very well done! :)
07/25/06
Slowly this piece came to life for me. It was like a gradual unfolding and it help me captive throughout. Truly masterful writing!
This is absolutely the best thing I have read all week. Brilliant.
07/25/06
This one made me cry: Beautiful, an absolutely beautiful expression of this tattered tent we live in.
07/26/06
Brilliant! Powerful, powerful message!!
07/26/06
cool! i like what you did.
07/26/06
Good stuff. This was eloquently done. I really enjoyed this.
07/27/06
Oooooo - very cool...... I love the transision -

(oh -and on a camping note -I've never met an unfriendly camper :) )
07/27/06
Congrats on your win. This is wonderful!
Yeah, 5th place EC. Way to write! One of my favorites this week.
01/18/08
I just finished reading through "Hidden in the Hymns," and I had to let you know that this piece moved me deeply. I'm so glad it made the book, because I might not have read, or been blessed by, it otherwise.
01/18/08
Joanne
what a nice surprise to get your comment. i'm so glad this story blessed you!
Janet