The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1030 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/16/10
I loved, loved, loved this! You used humor and such good descriptions that drew me into the story. I would have loved to read more about Grandma, had space permitted!

Excellent writing!
Wow, such a beautiful image. The ending was just perfect!
To write in first person is not always easy as you have to establish a believable and somewhat lovable character and you have done this here, exceedingly well. I was involved and empathetic (if not downright convicted) by the situations the MC encountered. And, as I finished reading, I realized the MC was not the heroine after all, but rather the grandmother as probably the author anticipated all along. Enjoyed this thoroughly.
09/17/10
I thoroughly enjoyed this insightful story and how the MC found what really mattered to her.
What a marvelous tribute to a wonderful and strong woman. I really enjoyed this entire piece.
09/20/10
Sweet story.

At first, I was confused about when Grandpa died. I was thinking it was a memory.

Loved the Miley Cyrus hat on grandma!
Love love love it! I want to cry now, especially after that last line.
09/21/10
This story made me miss my grandma (she's with Jesus). You are an excellent writer. I will remember your story. So good!
09/21/10
Your characterisation is excellent and enabled me to get inside the head of the oh so wonderfuly befuddled narrator. If anything I found that the tale rambled all over the place - this was probably deliberate - and as such it was hard to set it within any one particular time and place.
What a wonderful Grandma. This story made me miss my own Grandmother, who was also a farmers wife. We lost her last year.
09/22/10
Beautiful well told story. Reminded me of my mother-in-law whom I lost last week.
Congratulations for placing 10th in your level and 15th overall!