The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1697 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/09/09
This story is sort of sci-fi, but not so much that it didn't seem real. I imagine anyone suffering from a terminal disease would feel the emotions your MC was experiencing. Creative use of the topic--thumbs up to you.
Oooh, Good sci-fi. I like this. I really, really like this. I love the twist and how the colors fit together, what a great idea. I bet you could make a whole novel out of this, lol. I'd certainly want to know what happens next in this world. Very well done!
10/10/09
Such a creative take on the theme! You did a wonderful job on this!
This was a very unique concept for this week's topic. I can't imagine what life would be like if we had an indicator telling us when we were nearing the end of our lives. On one hand it could be useful so that we would maximize the time here on Earth, but on the other hand many people might just freak out by it and allow it to completely make their lives miserable.

I think it would be cool to take this concept and create a full novel out of it. Show more characters with more indicators. Show different reactions to the colors. That would be cool. Lots of potential here for future material. And I'd like to see more since I felt like 750 words weren't enough to tell the entire story.

Great job with this one. :)
10/12/09
I'm a sci-fi fan, and I LOVE this. I agree with Josh...this has novel potential. You could explore more deeply what happened in this world to make this technology necessary/accepted...have people who resist...the possibilities are endless!
Very cool idea and well written story. I didn't like the mom too much. (Seemed a bit callous for a daughter dying too young.) Again, very imaginative idea. Great last line.
10/13/09
Really good writing—and a valuable lesson to boot!
10/14/09
This was an interesting approach to the topic. I liked it. I have to agree with several other postings. This would make a great novel.
10/15/09
Wow! Didn't read this one. Great job. Very mysterious. Congratulations, Leah!!!
10/15/09
Okay...am I the only one that thought she was hiding a hickie?! sheesh.

Great job, Leah...am thinking this one should have even been further up the top ten ladder. Captivating.
Oooo, this is cool. I try to cherish my time here, but it's so easy to just get caught up in life. Great story.
Yay Leah! Congratulations for placing with this excellent entry. Well-deserved, for sure. Can't wait to read more of your stuff!
10/16/09
I am also a sci-fi fan, and I was thoroughly drawn in by this story. I agree that you should consider expanding this into a larger form. Congratulations on your EC.
Excellent story! So well written, suspenseful, with a message that doesn't shout. Instead, you lead the reader glean it and wonder about it. I love this! Congrats on your EC, Leah!
10/20/09
OK, that was gripping. I love how you drew me in at the beginning. What does this thing "indicate?" What's her bond with Grandma? I was eating it all up trying to figure it out. Consider mine a vote to expand the story further. Definitely A LOT of potential with this storyline (not to mention the incredible talent of the writer ;)) Great job and congrats on the EC.