The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1631 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/11/08
This gave me goosebumps. Absolutely engaging and touching and wonderful. Excellent atmosphere. Just wow.
What a wonderful message in a beautifully written piece. This is the whole package! Loved it.
04/11/08
I loved this. I want to meet Pop Pop one day. What a wonderful example of how important grandparenting is and how much love there is in the memories. Thanks for this gift to us. Great writing.
This was absolutely wonderful! You've woven a grandfather's love and encouragement together very well.

I particularly loved the line: “But real courage is to look at your face in the mirror and ask that man, ‘Am I doing God’s work here on earth or am I just using up time?’ "

Great job!

This is the real deal! Excellent in every way. The ending, with Pop-pop emptying his pickets before the throne of God is powerful.
04/14/08
This is a superb image: ...his soul had blazed a trail across the night sky to heaven where it landed at the throne of God. Great story, really different for this week's topic.
I was ready for a boat ride. What a surprise, loved the two passions you wove into this and the message the elder has for the youth.
04/17/08
Love, love the ending. What a sweet man you've created--and written so well. Good job.
04/17/08
Your description of the relationship was so real that I felt like I was actually there. The ending was perfect, too.
04/17/08
Congratulations on your EC, Karen. This was one of my favorites.
Karen, this was an amazing entry and don't know how I missed it on the first read, but I'm so glad I caught it now. Wow, I can see why it placed, such a lovely, loving tribute. Congratulations on your win - and placement in EC - Loren
04/18/08
Congrats on your EC. This is a wonderful story and I especially love the last two paragraphs.