The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1213 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
So heartfelt! I liked the flashbacks, and the lesson here, too. Thank you.
09/16/06
A beautiful reminder of how and what we should be teaching our kids as we 'train them up.' yeggy
09/18/06
A touching story, very Good message, and I loved the ending. Nicely done.
You did well at making the parallel between the life lessons and the gardening. Good job!
09/19/06
Loved all the little "vignettes" and the message and analogy woven throughout them. This one got me all mushy too! A lovely read!
09/19/06
Tim, This is really poignant and nice. I loved the ending. It took me a minute to get the connection between the two different scenes, but I think that's my problem, not yours (hello self - is anybody home???) Great work!
09/19/06
Took me a second read to get the sequencing, too, but also my problem... I too appreciated the gardening life lesson. Good writing, believable dialogue.
09/19/06
Very good story. I could definitely see the unfolding, and enjoyed the ending. well done! Thanks for sharing this!
09/19/06
Wonderful! I liked the back-and-forth scenes. I would have ended with the weed pulling rather than the embrace, to drive your point home. I especially like your way with dialog.
09/20/06
Mastercrafting at its best! Love the format! Love the message!
Nice way to present this w/ the flashbacks. Very sweet, really, and believable...my own parents made so much more sense when I looked back over their lives after they passed away (sorry to admit this). This is a good reminder to be looking for those lessons BEFORE that time. Good dialogue...and the wife, she's a peach. :-)
09/20/06
Switching between scenes was quite an effective way of telling a story. I think I got a bit confused about the chronology of the flashbacks of the past.