The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 973 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/28/10
What a beautiful poem! The father was so very wise to give his family a sense of history and pride in who they were. So many lines were special and brought out many emotions. The line about Mums too weak to cry was heartbreaking. But I really loved the line about before were new horizons and aft was all they knew. But tragedy was overshadowed by gratitude for being spared. I loved this very well written poem. I hope the judges do to.
10/28/10
History of families is something I love reading and learning about and seeing passed down. This poem is just full of the longing one might feel for a homeland far away. Loved it.

Mona
10/28/10
What a rich heritage. We must remember! Your story haunts and uplights. Great work!
This is beautiful and what a great example of handing down family history so each generation will truly understand.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if our parents, grandparents and even beyond, had left a letter of this kind for their families? What a glimpse into the past! So much of what my father told me so long ago has been forgotten, so today with so much technology available, everyone should be taping or writing something to pass on to generations to come. Talk about a gift! This was a wonderful entry!