The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1258 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/24/10
Cute story. Bear was a lovable character and I who love to read, hate that as I get older it will often put me to sleep and I have to wear glasses too. Good to know I'm not the only one.
This is a well-done animal story; good descriptions, atmosphere, dialog (with himself, of course). I got drowsy just reading of his coming hibernation!
This is one of my favorites. It's something I could read to my grandkids. But what intrigues me most is how the simplicity and delicious imagery is like custard cream pie, it seems there is more to the story when you dig down further to satisfy your craving. I often don't feel I get rewarded for my sneaky symbolism, but this rules. If Im correct the bear alluded to "II Corinthians 5:17. "If any man be in Christ he is a new creation, behold, all things have become new..."

Consider me your new friend, or shadow, maybe I could be the ground hog in your world, and learn from your writ.
Lovable MC!

One paragraph I reread to make sure I understood: While recovering from the exertion, his thoughts wandered outside. “I wonder what’s going on with those oddly peculiar non-hibernating animals now that the weather has turned cold?” All other statements he made aloud; using italics without quotations would emphasize the difference.

Very fun story for all ages, especially, as already stated, for children.
To quote from your story, I found it captivating. It held my interest throughout and brought a smile to my face.

Congratulations in placing in the top 40 over-all. Good job!
05/11/10
There's no accounting for taste but this was easily my favorite entry for the Reader. Witty, atmospheric and bang on topic.