The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2151 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/31/08
Oh how very sad. My heart broke for the "Spice Girls." Your language presented a vivid picture for my senses and your story touched my emotions.
01/31/08
How very mean-spirited! You hit the theme dead on. Nicely done.
02/01/08
But, Dena seemed such a lovely young lady! Great job at revealing what really lay within.
02/01/08
This is a perfectly lovely story--until the end. How awful! Something similar to this actually happened to me in 6th grade, and it hurt so badly at the time. Cute touch with their names being Cinnamon and Spice (and everything nice).
02/01/08
Ouch. Looks certainly CAN be deceiving. Excellent portrayal of the message here.
02/02/08
This is a wonderful illustration of the topic. You did a good job with Dena's personality. And the dialogue was realistic.
Great illustration of the topic and I love the title! I enjoyed your take and your writing was colorful and descriptive. Good job!
02/03/08
How mean! Can I bop her?? LOL Great job with the topic!
Totally caught me by surprise! What a horrible person! I want to move in next to those sweet ladies. This story hit me... I have a bit of fear of this happening to me. Well done though ;-)You got an emotional response, for sure. I love those older ladies and want to tell the other one off!
Oh, how sad! This was a lovely story. Since I know the topic, I kept waiting to learn what was the glitter that wasn't gold. You still surprised me. Nicely told.
02/04/08
This dialogue just reeled me right in, and made me want to cry for the old sisters :(
Wonderful story!
02/04/08
You are quite a story teller. You held my interest throughout and that final touch made a poignant end to the story and illustrated the subject very well.
Great story. Great dialogue. Nice finish! Great message.
I was reminded of something Jesus said, “…You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean” (Mt. 23:27).
02/05/08
Ooooh, right on topic and positively cruel! I like these two old women! I can relate to them: fat and can't sing and love to eat chocolate cake! LOL! Great writing!
Laury
02/05/08
Your in top form on this one. Very well written and extremely entertaining. Classical!!!!!!!
God bless.
I haven't often experienced anything like these sweet ladies did, but the feeling you captured authentic to the actual experience--the sweet happiness suddenly shattered by the awful reality of being betrayed and offended. Perfectly captured here! The shock is still fresh as I write this. Great job!
Ouch! You did a great job developing the sister characters, and their names are adorable. I didn't see the ending coming, but I should have, considering the topic!
I feel like you captured the essence of this weeks challenge perfectly. Plus your message was excellent. I felt sorry for the Spice Girls too. Well done my friend.
02/05/08
you knew a punch was coming...just not when. good piece
02/05/08
Oooh, I'd like to tweak her nose! Great title, superb application of the proverb.
What excellent writing. A true contrast between what glitters on the outside (Dena) and what is truly gold on the inside (the sisters). How sad that this often happens every day in life. Great title, ending with with such impact. Great job!
02/06/08
Aww. How mean.
I enjoyed reading the beginning so much I forgot the topcic till I read the ending. What a jolt to the warm fuzzy feeling the beginning gives you.
Great article.
I, too, liked the dialogue, and wish I had lovely sisters like these for neighbors.
Ooooh! I feel so bad for Cinnamon! (and Clove!) You nailed the character of that girl, what a complete turnaround, the ending, wow, poor Cinnamon, to have heard all of that. You definitely had me caught up in the story though! Excellent writing ^_^
The story really touched me. The sisters were so kind and sweet, to have this happen was so sad. Excellent writing to be able to invoke strong emotions to your reader. Perfect!
Ouch! And I mean that in a good way. This delivered a right punch directly to the head and heart. Succinctly told with great emotional impact. I for one, would eat lunch with the "Spice Girls" anytime. : )
02/06/08
I knew what the topic was this week. Still I was taken aback at how mean Dena was. You really made me dislike her. Good writing.
For your realistic characterization and wonderful description, I applaud you. This is a memorable story.
02/07/08
I already told you I liked this...Yes, Yes I did. But, did I say I really, really liked it. If not, I really, really do:)
God bless.
02/07/08
Boy ... you sure do know how to manipulate our emotions! I want to bop that young wipper-snapper on the head!

Great writing Betty! You nailed it all - topic, atmosphere, dialog, and emotion. Yep! You nailed it!
I smiled at the reference of the Spice Girls. So right on topic, and on the head dialog. Thanks for the great read.
02/07/08
Whoop! Whoop! And congratulaions my fine and feathery friend! ;) Enjoy the dance today - squeeling with ya.
02/07/08
Congratulations on your EC. This is a great story.
02/07/08
Congratulations, Betty!! Woo hooo!!!

I wish I'd had the chance to read this before-it's so poignant and such a great take on the topic. It's a wonderful example of this proverb-and made me hot under the collar, too, at that young lady! Love your sister characters.
This is a well deserved winner. Congratulations!
02/08/08
I'm so glad this placed, Betty, becaise like I said, and said:) I LIKE IT! Congrats!!!
***Congratulations!*** Yay for Betty! ^_^
Great job, Betty. Congratulations! :) Cat