The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1758 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/25/08
Very good story—kept me on the edge of my seat.
Whew, that was close! I'm so glad that the worst did not come to pass.
I thought an error on Simon's part was coming, but I like this ending better than the one I had imagined. Lovely writing, lovely ending. Enjoyed reading this very much.
01/28/08
Whew! I was really hoping this would turn out OK. I like the way you ended it - gently, with a good lesson.
01/28/08
Yikes--this one scared me, a little. And I learned a new word: "tincture." A lovely illustration not only of the proverb but of grace.
01/29/08
You have some beautiful descriptions, as always. There's always a sense of peace that envelops me when I read your work :)
01/30/08
Touching. And a great reminder that GRACE covers us when we fall flat on our faces.
01/30/08
It was fascinating to read of all the herbs, some familiar some not. Your story is wonderful and a perfect illustration of the topic.
01/30/08
A nice story and great illustration of the topic.

I couldn't place the character's names somehow. They didn't seem quite right if they were meant to be English Medieval.

I noticed some good research with the herbs. Foxglove ( Digitalis pupurea ) is the source of the heart drug Diglin and would grow in an apothecary’s garden. Laurel ( Prunus laurocerasus ) contains cyanide and is also very poisonous. I wouldn't make it into tea or eat the cherry like fruits!
01/30/08
Lovely story. And I loved the presence of God watching over and protecting the characters.
01/30/08
This story reminds me of the scene from "It's a Wonderful Life" where the grieving druggist nearly sends the wrong medicine to a child. Good illustration of the topic and I always enjoy the historical settings and characters you create.
Oh I so liked this! I wanted the story to go on and on to see what happened next! This is one of my favorite kinds of stories. Excellent writing-especially with the dialouge and the descriptions of Simon helping with the chores and the ending was just right. ^_^
Excellent voice and beautiful language in this piece.
This ending reminded me of "It's a Wonderful Life" a bit and how a mistake was prevented and a life saved because of George Bailey. Glad the boy did not drink it and the young apprentice learned a valuable lesson without taking a life!! This was well written indeed.