The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2250 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/19/07
Oh joy! This is great. The part is that Uncle Winston is perfectly fine, and so is Martha. Wonderful.
04/19/07
Love the description his friend at the end:) Good dialogue.
04/19/07
Loved it.....AND AM LIVING IT! Just got back from the neurologist's with mom-in-law. This was an excellent, funny story. I thought of writing up my relative's foibles, but I thought it too tragic. However, you have given it a little different spin and I found it 100% delightful! Great job!
Loved it, especially when we find out that he has such a special "match". LOL Great job.
04/20/07
You should have reconsidered the panty hose coupon upon clapping eyes on her. Very funny and intelligent, but the last sentance sort of bludgeons the point a little. I like the boxer shorts in the fridge. It sums up his condition rather effectively.
04/20/07
Uncle Winston definitely entertained me. This was a delightful read, and how nice for the girls to sacrifice their time and help him, even when after all he didn't need it!
04/21/07
I liked the ending!
I loved Uncle Winston. You did a great job with description.
04/22/07
This is cute, but sort of sad in a way. Very well written, and you seemed to capture too many of our "uncles" very effectively.
04/23/07
You tell a story so well!! A fun and delightful story!
04/23/07
I didn't quite know how to feel about this...it's wonderfully written, and very amusing, but I felt so sad for Uncle Winston. It was unclear, I guess, whether he had Alzheimer's or was just quirky and eccentric. Maybe with just that clarification? Lots of really great moments here, and a fantastic voice.
04/24/07
Certainly got me smiling! The voice, relationships between the sisters and the characterisation of Uncle Winston worked to make this an entertaining piece.
04/24/07
Very cute article! I chuckled several times. Especially with the boxers in the fridge. Who knew you weren't supposed to do that!
Author clarification:
Uncle Winston is a quirky little man with a slight oxygen flow above the shoulders problem. (Think Bernice from "Designing Women.") He is not seriously ill.
I adore the elderly, and feel they are often overlooked in our society. They have so much to offer. I wanted to portray Uncle Winston as a loveable elderly gentleman very much enjoying life, and is possibly even starting a new romance.
I hope this clears up any questions the reader may have.
The title was perfect! Uncle Winston was a little eccentric, wasn't he? Very smooth and natural dialogue.

I think my favorite part of this was the salami in the vacuum cleaner hose.

I loved the twist at the end, where we find out that his "dinner date" seemed to be just as eccentric as Uncle Winston. Good job!
I especially liked the one eyebrow feature the Winston and Martha shared. What a fun story!
04/25/07
Uncle Winston's not the only one to entertain. Toooo funny!
This is so funny! I can just see the sister's reactions. And I can feel the mirth being held back by the narrator.
04/26/07
How cute! Loved the ending! Truly a perfect match! :D
So many things hit home here! Very comical and sweet. I was glad for the clarification about Uncle Winston's condition.

Interestingly enough, my husband's name is Winston, Winston Wayne; we call him Wayne. And my little sister always says to me things like, "Your father..."

A fun read. Thanks, Cheri
04/26/07
Oh, this was so enjoyable! I loved the description, and your wonderful words made it easy to visualize. Thanks so much for sharing it.
Very, very good ... great story.
05/21/07
Would you girls be available to come over and clean my house tomorrow? My cats and I are having a tea party this afternoon and they're bringing the snacks. Thank you much.

Such lovely ladies, aren't they Boots?