The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2059 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/01/06
Very sweet story. I could really identify. My dad was a "ham", too. Great job. Kate~
06/01/06
God bless the MARS people! I'm thrilled to know they are still in operation. I recall the sound of my twin brothers' voices over a MARS connection during my tour of duty in Vietnam. They were 14 at the time, and I got to hear (voice-changing age) what I would have missed without MARS! This story goes in my "favorites." Thank you for writing!
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info in a memorable and entertaining way. :-)
06/02/06
good to know MARS is still up and running like it was when I was in the military.
And the "code" is still strong as well!

dit dah dah dit-dah-dit dah dit dit !!! (PTL!)
06/04/06
Shows how things once bothering us changes perspective when it becomes personal; meeting our own needs. We go from a cry to smile. We may need the very thing we have problems with, especially the purpose of someone else. Good job Shari!
06/04/06
Good job, Shari. This was nice and crisp. A good example of understanding the importance of even the annoying things of life. My only suggestion would be to amplify the crisis a bit and then really bring the resolution home. Right now the crisis is "I cried" and the resolution is seeing the good that is done. For a better story (although not factually correct in real life) you could have the daughter and father get in an arguement (building up the crisis) and the resolution could be a nail biting, life saving transmission. But I really liked the flow of this one and it really felt good to read. Good work!
06/04/06
See, this is what I love about FW--I learn so much! I had no idea that this program existed. I really like the way you captured your narrator's changing moods, and the dad's very moving purpose. Well done!
Good job. I enjoyed the story. Thanks for the author's note, it was interesting.
06/05/06
A very unique backdrop. And what a great way to acknowledge the dedication of many operators around the world. And then to personalize it between father and daughter. Very nice read Shari.
06/05/06
Interesting; I never really knew the details about ham radios. Cute story. :-)
06/05/06
Nicely written. Thanks for the lesson you're sweet story provided. Good job.:) Jo
06/06/06
You know the ham operators play such an important role in all these natural disasters like Katrina too. Good job "showing" how their job is special and needed!
06/06/06
My uncle was also a "Ham" Fantastic story!
This is a good story. I liked the info on the radio opperation. I didn't know this. Thanks.