The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1169 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Amen. May what we say be seasoned with God's grace. Let's get out their and write for the young people, and give them something else to read besides bloodthirsty vampires.

We have some great young talent writing every week. I will be praying.
Thanks for sharing what's on your mind. I, too, would have to say that most of the new stories are very depressing. A very poor outlook on life and the themes these stories express are all empty. Thank goodness Christian writers still exist, and may we start to thrive in this culture whose ethical values and God honoring stories seem to be in the minority. God has better stories to offer than depressing romances and heroes with no virtue.
This is well-written, thoughtfully organized , and presents a compelling case for writing more positively. So from that viewpoint - bravo! However (don't you sometimes hate that "however..."?!), I think stories needs to present the reality of living in this dark broken world, along with the beautiful "positive" criteria found in Phil. 4:8. I do believe it is possible to achieve this balance, without having all the conflict wrapped up in sweet cliche packages (which so much of the Christian fiction seems to do today.) C.S. Lewis said, "We read to know we are not alone," and that includes not alone in our "darkness". I wrote a poem on FW called, "Creation's Longing" which vividly depicts the difficult dark times in my life, and could be considered pretty morose. Yet hopefully it points the reader toward keeping his/her eyes fixed on eternity, when all will be revealed. Sorry for the length of this comment, guess I just feel pretty strongly about how we, as writers, approach our craft. God bless you as you continue to point others to Him, and to hope!
Halelujah and Amen and Amen! SO TRUE! Psychiatrists and Behavioral Analysts know that these are earmarks of a sociopath and sociopathic society. I'm with you - I want to read to get RELIEF from a world of depravity. Good editorial!
I liked this too -- and I'm sure you're speaking for a lot of us who want to weigh much more heavily on the sunshine side of life. Oh yes, there are trying and troublesome things in life (don't get me started!!), but we overcome. "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height nor depth nor any creature shall separate us from the love of God."
06/10/10
Thanks for pouring out your heart as well as your mind. I feel that the constant bombardment of cynicism from our secular press has fooled too many people - young and old - into pessimism and loss of hope.
Thank God for FaithWriters, a tool that he can use to enhance the readability of those of us who have the opportunity to throw some of his light into this darkness.
06/12/10
Well said, Allen. While even I write some things more on the "darker" side, it's nice to have encouragement or light shining through somewhere. Perhaps the youth today don't know where the Light is.
Good article.