The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1595 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
You did a great job reminding me how "preciously" exhausting a 6 year old can be! You also reminded me of tales my twin brother would tell me that were comparable to trees growing in our bellies so I could definitely relate to your daughter's fears as well. I mean big brothers know EVERYTHING. What I liked most about your story is the "realness" of it and kids do have a way of keeping it real:)


03/05/10
So much I like about this one:- the title (very catchy); the 6 year old's speech (leaving off the first part of words); the imaginative ways in which she thinks she's turning into a tree; her conclusion that her mom should have prayed earlier. Very fun to read. Well done!
03/05/10
Terrific! You helped me recapture my childhood. It was also a great way to start the day...laughing.
This really tickled my funny bone! Believable dialogue, colorful child characterization and so humorous. Loved this one.
03/08/10
This was cute. Super opening and the pace didn't let up. You came close to the TMI line a few times, but didn't cross. Great, enjoyale story and very well written. You've got talent! God bless.
Cute, and believable dialogue for a six year old
03/09/10
I liked all the everyday things that led her to believe she was turning into a cherry tree. Very good ideas!
03/09/10
Great characterisation and some wonderful child-like humour.
Unlike William, I didn't like your opening paragraph. Count how many times the word pit or spit occurs. But once I got past what was for me a distraction, the pace picked up and the humour kicked in.
03/10/10
LOL! ...a cleverly woven tale. I had to smile at the samwitch falling in the dirt before she ate it! :) Ah, the joy of being 6 years old! :)
I have to say it: You went out on a limb with this one. Parts of it made me think yuck instead of eek. Very creative.
Ha, I love this. I can picture the drawings that would go with the children's book!
This would be a perfect children's book. I loved this except I would have to agree with William, sometimes a little TMI... I don't usually get into the goo type stories though, so the fact that I liked this as much as I did is a compliment. I actually can't believe you didn't place with this. I thought it was extremely creative and clever. I couldn't help but wonder if there had been less TMI, if it would have placed, but maybe that wasn't the difference at all. I still think it was really funny, believable, and the MC was hysterically cute. Imagine, thinking one is turning into a cherry tree, but that is how a kid thinks sometimes, you know them so well. I loved the mom too, what a fun and understanding mom to have. Good job!