The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1240 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Your title intrigued me and your first line had me. What a great story, true or not. If true you are truly blessed. Keep up the good words.
I was hooked from the title onward, and glad to learn that God brought blessing through each relationship.
04/19/08
This memoir was captivating from the beginning. Some very wise words in here.

Personally, I would have avoided the "blood is thicker than water" cliche--your words and thoughts stand on their own.

Nice job with the topic.
04/19/08
Wow. Powerful commentary on the truth of finding peace in difficult relationships. Nicely done.
04/20/08
You definitely caught my attention with your title. Then I was taken off guard with , "My father shot my father." What a heart-breaking, life-changing situation your describe. I love how you describe what your life became, "normal--hectic, loud, and full of drama…a family." Your "for better or worse" comment is perfect here. You were blessed to have your "new father." And blessed in showing forgiveness to your biological father."
04/21/08
I particularly enjoyed the flashback here, although you also have a nice touch for misdirection. As has been said your penultimate paragraph is a bit clichéd. Even the alliteration of “aborted, abandoned, and abused” detracts from rather than adds to the flow of the story. But all in all the story sizzles with creativity and compassion.