The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1248 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
11/23/07
This is an interesting take on this topic. Not what I would have thought, but definately a story worth telling. The Navy didn't see fit to send me to south east Asia so I was fortunate to have missed this aspect of the war. While I'm a Vietnam era Vet I didn't have these experiences. You made them as real as 750 words can for a man who has not had the experience. Good Job!
11/24/07
Very vivid writing - I agree with Ed. Despite my lack of knowledge of this, you put me there.
11/24/07
This was very interesting and very unique. Thank you for sharing.
Laury
Your images are vivid, the story gripping. The last paragraph is very touching.
11/25/07
Excellent writing - interesting take on the subject.
11/26/07
Wow. This is an excellent story on this topic. Very unique and very powerful. I could see every image you described with great clarity.
11/29/07
What a wonderful sense of time and place! This could be an examplar for teaching "setting."

FYI--the correct phrase is "for all intents and purposes." A redundant phrase, but that's our ridiculous language.

I love the title, and the very unique tree stump/pulpit. You're fantastic at out-of-the-box writing.
12/01/07
I have finally figured out what I love about your writing. Other great writers use words to show what life is like but you don't waste time with words. You just take out a scalpel and dissect an actual living chunk of life. Then you glue that still pulsing piece of life to the page. You are the first writer I am putting in my favorites! (Oh… sorry about the exclamation mark but you deserve it.)
Talk about out-of-the-box... it's amazing how boundaryless your knowledge and talents are. Your students are fortunate.
04/18/13
Very gripping dramatic writing, felt like I was there along with you. You have a definite flair for detail and imagery. Thanks for telling me about this one. Very well done.

Lynn "Tomoral" Gipson