The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1438 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/11/07
I love that Jonah was the first to yell. I also found it symbolic when they were announced they were no longer slaves but free, no one could believe. How true that is for us as Christians too. This was solid writing with great dialogue. Great work!
Hooray! This made me want to cheer, too. Well done!
05/12/07
Excellent, excellent writing. For a moment I felt as if I was right there in the camp, and I felt the excitement of freedom.
That must have been wonderful, almost unbelievable news for these prisoners. Very well written.
05/13/07
Oh, I could feel everyone's excitement. I loved the dramatic pause and then that Jonah, the one with no tongue, was the one to break the silence! I'm wondering if this was researched though. I didn't think that the surrender of concentration camps was so peacful.
05/13/07
Powerful. I have read this story many times and come away with the same conclusion - it's too bad you only had limited space to tell this story.
05/14/07
What a blessing to once again know hope. This is good, tight writing. Written so that the reader is placed right in the midst of the setting. Yeah for Jonah! Excellent ending!
This is a striking piece, and if I remember correctly Dachau was one of the ugliest of the concentration camps. What a sad thought: when faced with their obvious freedom, the prisoners could not dare to hope.

I would have liked a little more description of your MC(s), but I know there is only so much you can do with 750 words. Your story line flowed well, though. Very good job!
05/14/07
Well done -and it's a shame more couldn't have been saved. Good details and a reminder even in the darkest times, there is always hope.
05/14/07
Excellent detail and emotion. This felt extremely authentic. Wonderfully done.
05/14/07
Oh my, when Jacob yelled, I got goosebumps. Extremely powerful.
05/14/07
Soooo good!! I had goose-bumps. I'd love to read the expanded version. The picture of the weeping American and the hope his hope gave...wonderful!! :-)
05/14/07
STANDING-OVATION! Wonderful, fantastic and perfectly written!
I'm speechless. This is the best version of this I have heard...or read. You made it so personal. Excellent.
Heartwarming. I'm sure this war was a terrible experience. You captured the story well.
Tremendous! I'm so glad I got to read this !!! Very, very well done. Kudos!
Tremendous! I'm so glad I got to read this !!! Very, very well done. Kudos!
05/15/07
Bravo. Quite moving.
05/15/07
Excellent!! Choked me up and when you can do that -- I love it! I could picture everything - great final paragraph!! Best I've read so far:)
05/16/07
Well done. Such an important time in history, and you portrayed it beautifully.
Very well written. Excellent job.
So incredibly vivid! I am inspired by this and encourage with the note and description of freedom in the end. An yay for Jonah! He was the first one to claim his freedom. ^_^
05/16/07
You gave me chills. Great job creating the mood of disinterest and disillusionment. An outstanding story!